A Part of the AKGenWeb
ANDREWS John R. Andrews, 87, died November 30, 1999, at "Debbie's Place" in Palmer, Alaska. Mr. Andrews was born in Anvik, Alaska, on June 21, 1912. He is survived by daughters Janet C. Beeter, Elsie Joe, Marie Andrews, Anna Stevens, Anita Litchfield and Stella Lieb; brother Jimmie Andrews; many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 
BETANCOURT Helen Betancourt, 68, died Dec. 31, 2003, at home. Ms. Betancourt was born Jan. 19, 1935, in Takotna, Alaska. She is survived by her daughter, Roberta Garrett; son, Robert Betancourt; grandsons, Richard Garrett and Justin Monette; great-grandson, Zachary Monette; sisters, Viola Meining, Vida Wik, and Velma Leonard; and brother, Charles O’Halloran.
BLONDIN Patricia Nan Blondin, 59, died Jan. 12, 2005, at home in Tok, Alaska. Ms. Blondin was born in Kodiak. She is survived by her daughters, Florence "Sam" Miettunen and Betty Weeks; son, Richard Standish; brother, Willie Hall; granddaughters, Kanisha Quincy and Hailey Standish; and grandsons, Joseph Barfield, William Barfield, Jason Standish and Wayne Weeks.
CARLO Joanne Agnes Carlo, 67, died Jan. 9, 2005, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Carlo was born Nov. 24, 1937 in Cripple, Alaska. She is survived by her brothers, Joseph Carlo and Stacy Carlo.
EVANS Lifelong Alaskan Lena Young Evans, 84, died July 1, 2005, at Providence Seward Medical Center of cardiac arrest. A visitation will take place at 2 p.m. Tuesday at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Fairbanks with a service at 3 p.m. Scott Fisher will officiate. Burial will take place Wednesday at Tanana Cemetery. Pallbearers will include Pete LeRoy, Roy LeRoy, Paul LeRoy, Rodney Evans and Carl Jerue Jr. Honorary pallbearers will include Ted Harwood, Lester Erhardt, Greg Smith, Ricky Smith and Richard Smith. Mrs. Evans was born Nov. 11, 1920, in Tanana to Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Young. Most of her life was spent in Fairbanks. In 1939, she met and married John Evans, and they lived in Rampart until 1947. She lived in Anchorage off and on throughout her life, and most recently lived in Homer. Mrs. Evans was a member of St. Matthew's Episcopal Church. During the 1980s, she was on the front page of the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner being blessed by Pope John Paul II. She was a homemaker who enjoyed traveling, berry picking, fiddle dancing, going to thrift stores, and visiting friends and family. Her son, Franklin, writes: "She was not educated, but she was very professional in how she carried herself." She was very kind-hearted and a loving mother, friend and relative who was easy to love, her son also wrote. He added that she gained many friendships throughout Alaska. Mrs. Evans is survived by her son and daughter-in-law, Franklin and Mary Evans, grandchildren, Kenneth, Aldrick and Kendra Komakhuk, all of Anchorage; nephew, Carl Jerue Sr. and his wife, Marcia, great-nephew, Carl Jerue Jr. and his wife, Tammy, all of Anvik; numerous other nephews, nieces, relatives and friends all over Alaska; and longtime friend, Earl Ridner. She was preceded in death by her husband of 42 years, John Evans; infant daughter; brother, Howard Young; and sisters, Cecilia and Cora. Arrangements were with Evergreen Memorial Chapel.


Fairbanks resident Harry William Fields Jr., 68, passed away Monday, Aug. 1, 2011. Harry was born to Dehlia Simon and Harry W. Fields Sr. in a toboggan on the trail en route to the Fort Yukon Hospital. He lived a life full of adventure from the moment of his birth until his passing. Harry served in the Army National Guard during the Vietnam War and advocated for the return of military remains stored in a mausoleum in Sitka to their families for proper burial. He actively pursued having the bridge in Nenana named to honor all veterans as a Veteran's Memorial Bridge as well as having memorial statues placed in downtown Fairbanks and other locations throughout the state. In 1973, while working in the Nenana Ice Pool, he met and caught the attention of his bride, Thelma Plummer; the two were married shortly after moving to Haines in 1975. Harry moved his family to Fairbanks in 1977 where he remained until his passing. While living in Fairbanks, He worked various trades and his volunteer services were well known from co-organizing Christmas potlatches, serving as vice chair for the Alaska Native Veterans Association to serving as a vestry member for St. Matthew's Episcopal Church. And when the church was in need of repairs Harry actively fundraised to pay for the repairs. Harry was preceded in death by his parents, Harry W. Fields Sr., Dehlia Simon Williams and stepfather, Esau Williams; siblings; Mark Williams, Timothy Williams, Sonny Williams, a baby brother and his sister Bessie Elizabeth Biederman He is survived by his wife Thelma Fields and children, Daniel Lee (Sabrina) Plummer, Ronald Curt Plummer, David Aaron (Laura) Fields, and Connie Ann Beckwith; grandchildren, Isabella Rose, Chelsey Mae, Justin Terrance, Gina Brooke, Jermaine Lewis, Leeah Rose, Jordan Giovanni, Adriahna Leona, Sterling Ray, and adopted grandchild, Cheyenne Beverley Rose. Tea is being held at Chief David Salmon Tribal Hall throughout the day on today and Thursday. Visitation and funeral services will be held at the Chief David Salmon Tribal Hall on Friday Aug. 6, 2011, at noon. A potlatch will immediately follow dinner on Friday evening at the Chief David Salmon Tribal Hall. Published in Daily News-Miner on August 3, 2011
HOFFMAN December 11, 1987 ­ Calista Region leader Chief Eddie Hoffman dies. According to Calista Corp., Yukon-Kuskokwim organizations declared this day Chiefs Day as a holiday in his remembrance.



Arthur Hunter was born to Jonathan and Rachel (Martinhead) Hunter on April 15, 1938, in Fort Yukon. Art grew up on the Porcupine River with his beloved grandpa Moses Martinhead and his dog, Boots the Boots; hunting, fishing and checking rabbit snares with his .22 hoping against hope he would not encounter a grizzly. Art loved his grandpa and his dog and worked hard to earn his two bits. Growing up, he attended the Fort Yukon School and later the Chemawa and Mount Edgecumbe schools. He graduated from Mount Edgecumbe High School in 1959 with his best buddy, Angus Joseph. They were two very best friends: getting into scrapes, getting into fistfights just for the heck of it. Best friends to the day Art died. Drafted into the Army, he joined one of their best, the 82nd Airborne Division. He became a paratrooper much to his Auntie Dorothy's dismay. After the Army (to Auntie Dorothy's relief) he joined the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Union in Anchorage. He studied to become a wireman electrician and attained his degree and certificate on June 15, 1969. He became a journeyman electrician in Local 1547. He married Mary (Maxie) Moore in the Anchorage courthouse on Dec. 31, 1969. Mary had three sons from a previous marriage and again, Art decided to be the best he could be at being a father. He outdid himself on birthdays and Christmas. Art and Mary renewed their wedding vows on Sept. 15, 1973, at Immaculate Conception Church with the Rev. Lawrence Nevue officiating. Still drawn to church, Art joined St. Matthew's Episcopal Church with the Rev. Scott Fisher. Finding he was interested in doing charity work, he began the rounds of ladles of soup, spaghetti and salads at the various soup kitchens. In the latter part of 2008, Art was diagnosed with lung cancer, which left him too weak to do his volunteer work. Cheerful, easy going, uplifting and resigned to his condition and its final outcome and having given his all in any endeavor pursued or met, having aspired to be the best he could be as son, grandson, husband, father and friend, he died April 3, 2010, at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. He was preceded in death by his beloved grandpa Moses Martinhead; parents, Jonathan and Rachel Hunter; stepson Raymond Hunter; twin brothers; sister Norma Richards; and aunt Dorothy Pitka. He left behind his wife of 40 years, Mary; sons, Duncan Brave of Alabama and Dean Hunter of Minnesota; nephews, Ray and Rex Richards; brothers-in-law, Leto Flores of Los Angeles and his family and Rocco Lee of Anchorage; sisters-in-law, Agnes Bird and Betty Maxie, both of Anchorage, and their families; cousin Irene Klatt of Fairbanks; and his lifelong friend Angus Joseph and wife Dorothy. Farewell to a one-in-a-million, once-in-a-lifetime kind of a guy who will never be forgotten. A funeral was held at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church. Published in Daily News-Miner on July 21, 2011
JOHNSON Alice Johnson of Stony River. 2 January 1949 - 20 March 2011, Source: The Kuskokwim Drift, newsletter of the Kuskokwim Corporation, Summer 2011


Virginia Anna Kalland (1913-2010) Lifelong Kaltag resident Virginia Anna (Kozevnikoff) Kalland, 96, our beloved grandma, left us peacefully on May 22, 2010, at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. Virginia was born to Tatiana and Alex Kozevnikoff on Oct. 11, 1913, in Hamilton (near Kwiguk now Emmonak). She attended elementary school in White Mountain. Her father was a mail carrier, so she traveled to all the villages on the Lower Yukon during her childhood. She met Edgar Kalland in St. Michaels when he worked on the stream board. Edgar sent for her to marry him, so she traveled to Tanana on one of Wien Alaska's first flights. She did not want to go Tanana alone so she brought her brother, Ambrose Kozenkoff, with her. She was proud of her husband, Edgar, who helped carry serum to Nome in 1925. They lived in Tanana until Edgar got a weatherman's job in Kaltag. She had lived in Kaltag for more than 60 years. During that time she was postmistress for 35 years, a store owner where she helped raised many families, women's club manager and a girl's club leader. She was a devoted Catholic; she walked to Mass everyday at 11 a.m. until she could no longer walk. She cooked for many priests, nuns and friends when they visited Kaltag. She loved Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary, she prayed the rosary morning, afternoon, evening and before she went to sleep. She was depressed after losing her sister Pearlie Johnson and her daughter Anna in 2006. Everyday, she would say, "I miss Anna." Virginia is survived by her last surviving sibling, John Sheppard and family of Mountain Village; Alex Solomon Jr.; her grandchildren and their families, Norman Madros (friend Bonnie), George (Ramona) Madros, Patrick Madros (friend Josie), Joann Madros (Kenneth), Edgar Madros (Darlene), Darlene Lord, Vernon Madros (Judy), Georgianna, Nolita Madros, her friend of many years Carol Lowe; and many relatives and friends. She was preceded in death by her husband, Edgar Kalland; daughters and son-in-law, Anna and George Madros, Theresa Kalland and Eleanor Kalland; grandsons, Kenneth and Johnny Madros; granddaughters-in-law, Lucy and Mary Madros; great-grandchildren, James and Steven Madros; brothers, Ambrose Kozevnikoff, Richard Kozevnikoff and John Fitzerald; sisters, Pearlie Johnson, Matonia Fitzerald, Olga Prince and Elizabeth Beason; her friend Vivian Peters; and numerous relatives and friends. The viewing and rosary will be held in Fairbanks at 7 p.m., today, Tuesday, May 25, at the Chief David Salmon Tribal Hall. She will be taken home to Kaltag on Wednesday for the funeral which will be held at 11 a.m., Friday, May 28, at St. Theresa's Catholic Church. She will be laid to rest by her husband Ed at the cemetery above Kaltag. A traditional potlatch will follow at 5:30 p.m. at the Kaltag Community Hall. Arrangements were entrusted to Fairbanks Funeral Home. Published in Daily News-Miner on May 25, 2010
KERR Johanna C. Kerr, 89, died Aug. 24, 2003, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Kerr was born Dec. 14, 1913, in Anvik, Alaska. She is survived by her daughters, Evelyn M. Jones, Joan Baumgart, Kathy Johnson, Mary Ellen Lavigne, and Dorothy Nitz; and sons, Robert W. Rude, James Kerr, and Glen E. Kerr.
MARKS Clara Marks, 75, died Oct. 13, 2000 at Alaska Regional Hospital in Anchorage, Alaska. Mrs. Marks was born July 27, 1925 in Iditarod, Alaska. Her daughters, Judith J. Kalkins, Barbara Jensen, Terry L. Marks and Emily L. Marks; sons, Michael Dumesnil, Richard C. Marks, and Larry L. Marks; eight grandsons and four granddaughters; six great-grandchildren, and sister, Johanna Kerr, survive her




Alvin James Martin Sr. (1943-2010)
Alvin James Martin Sr. went to be with his Lord and Saviour on Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010. Alvin was born in Fort Yukon on Feb. 3, 1943. He was the son of Doris Alexander and Peter Wallis and the stepson of James Martin. Alvin was raised by his grandpa, Sam Alexander. He loved to talk about the years he and his grandpa spent out on the trapline, in a cabin 17 miles northwest of Fort Yukon, a place now known as Alexander's Village. Alvin served in the U.S. Army, where he learned his trade as an executive chef. He took further training at Bates Vocational School in Tacoma, Wash. He delighted many people with his creations as he cooked for pipeline workers, the Paxson Roadhouse, the Elders Program in Fort Yukon and Fairbanks and many potlatches. Alvin was a wonderful person in life. He loved his family, especially his son Byron who was his pride and joy. Alvin loved to help people with rides when they needed one. He was an outgoing person and had a quiet laugh. His favorite pastime was cooking. He was a Doyon shareholder and a member of the Gwichyaa Gwich'in Tribe of Fort Yukon. In 2000, Alvin attended the Arctic Circle Baptist Church in Fort Yukon. There he heard the preaching of Ronnie Starr and Tim Ungry, and he realized with great wonder that God loved him - just as he was. He put his trust in the finished work of Jesus Christ as the full payment for the forgiveness of his sins, and was born again. He became a member of Arctic Circle Baptist Church. In 2003, after moving to Fairbanks, he became a member of Bible Baptist Church. He was very active in the Reformers Unanimous program there. Alvin was preceded in death by his mother and stepfather, Doris Martin and James Martin; his maternal grandparents, Sam and Katherine Alexander; his paternal grandparents, Moses and Lucy Martin; his former wife, Ruth Martin; his companion, Donna Toovak; nephew, Terry Martin; uncles, Alexander Alexander, Lot Alexander, Timothy Alexander, Silas Alexander and Oliver Alexander; and sister, Cora Alexander. Alvin is survived by his son Byron Toovak, his stepson Roland Toovak, his son Alvin Martin Jr., stepsons, Billy Gjesdal, Sonny William and Todd Jantze; stepdaughters, Starr Hamme, Denna Turco and Audrey Gjesdal; his sister Irene Klatt; nephew and niece, Anthony and Alvina McCune of Lewiston, Idaho; and a large extended family. He also leaves behind many friends. Alvin was loved by many people. According to the wishes of his sister, visitation will be held from 11 a.m.-noon today, Tuesday, Dec. 28, at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church. The funeral will begin at noon with the Rev. Scott Fisher officiating. He will be laid to rest in Fort Yukon at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 29. A traditional potlatch will follow. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints." Arrangements were entrusted to Chapel of Chimes Funeral Home. Published in [Fairbanks] Daily News-Miner on December 28, 2010 .
McCORMICK Edward McCormick, 78, died April 2, 2001, at home in Wasilla, Alaska. Mr. McCormick was born Aug. 29, 1922, in Rampart, Alaska, and is survived by his sister Martha C. Littlefield and his 13 nieces and 11 nephews who are the children of his predeceased siblings.
MORGAN Aniak resident Nancy C. Morgan, 78, died April 30, 2010, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in the presence of her family. She was born Oct. 18, 1931, to Michael Passamika and Agnes Tukuyuk in Piamute, on the Yukon River. She spent her early childhood there until her family moved to Kalskag. At 16 she married Carl Morgan Sr. They lived in Kalskag and Aniak and had 12 children. Nancy was a devout Catholic; she served as St. Theresa's eucharistic minister, Sunday school teacher, choir leader and parish council member. Nancy was a dedicated teacher who first taught preschool, then, until the end, the Yupik language, culture and traditions to several generations. She was also a Yupik language mentor for the Kuspuk School District and the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Nancy actively lived a traditional lifestyle. She instilled in her children and grandchildren the value of living a traditional subsistence life. She enjoyed skin sewing and making mukluks, kuspuks, malagayaqs and beadwork and she loved to play bingo. Her family wrote: "Everyone knows her as Gramma Nancy; she was a very kind-hearted lady who never refused a request for help, whether it be spiritually, mentally or physically or a place to stay. She made both children and adults feel like they were very special individuals and encouraged them in whatever path they chose to take. We are all very lucky to have such a wonderful influence in our lives." She loved her family so much that she wanted to live in both worlds, not wanting to leave her family, yet wanting to be reunited with her loving husband, Carl. Nancy was preceded in death by her husband, Carl Morgan; her parents; brother, Nick Passamika; and sister, Annie Mary Simeon. She is survived by her sisters, Winifred Pitka, Theresa Alexie, Mary Ann Vaska and Irene Passamika; brother, Paul Passamika; sisters-in-law, Theresa Parent, Maggie Nicholai, Clara Morgan and Theresa Morgan; children, Leo (Edith), Carl (Angie), Leonard (Nancy), Jimmy, Billy (Twinks), Walter, Nicky (Beverly), Francine, Harry (Sarah), Barbara, Wayne (Martha), Bruce (Okie) and Dan (Jane) Gusauskas; 46 grandchildren; 63 great-grandchildren; one great-great grandchild; and many nieces, nephews, and friends.
MUNSON Helen Munson, 73, died Aug. 24, 2000 in Wasilla, Alaska. Mrs. Munson was born Aug. 5, 1927 in Kokrines, Alaska. She is survived by her children, Mary Munson Shepler, Oscar Munson III, Carol Munson, Robert Munson, Arlene Dodson, David Munson, June Montgomery and Ruby Munson; grandchildren, Teresa and Tami Stephan, Melinda and Melanie Munson, Rose, Rachael and Robert Chilligan, Shane, Samantha, Dave Jr. and Stephen Montgomery, and Stephanie Munson; and one great granddaughter, Micala.
MURPHY Vera Toloff Murphy, 81, died Dec. 16, 1999, at Heartwood Extended Care in Tacoma, Wash. Ms. Murphy was born in Fort Gibbon (Tanana) on May 21, 1918. She is survived by her daughter Cathey McBride; son Daniel Murphy; and brothers Bernard, Daniel, Thomas and Charles Toloff.
NEGLASKA Funeral services for Raphael J. Neglaska, 56, will be held in Kaltag later this week. He died Thursday at the Alaska Native Medical Center. Born Oct 15, 1924, in Nulato, he had lived in Kaltag. He is survived by his wife Mary, seven sons; Robert, Lawrence, Jerry, Thomas, Richard and Roger of Kaltag, and Victor of Nulato; two daughters, Lavina McGinty and Mary, of Kaltag. Funeral Arrangements are by Evergreen Memorial Chapel. Anchorage Daily News July 21, 1981.
OATES Frederick T. Oates, 81, died July 1, 2004, at home in Federal Way, Wash. Mr. Oates was born July 17, 1922, in McGrath, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; son, Richard; and daughter-in-law, Sharon.
PARKER Gregory Parker, 78, died March 28, 2003, at home in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Parker was born Dec. 28, 1924, in Rampart, Alaska. He is survived by his son, Perry L. Parker; son and daughter-in-law, Russell and Natasha Parker; aunt, Martha Littlefield; and siblings, Marcia, Martha, Marie, Willie, and Henry.
PARKS John Baptist Parks, 66, died November 4, 1999, at Providence Extended Care Center. Mr. Parks was born in Holy Cross, Alaska, on August 1, 1933. He is survived by his sisters Jean Parks and Winifred Beard.
PASSAMIKA Mary Passamika of Upper Kalskag. 15 October 1926 - 28 March 2011. Source: The Kuskokwim Drift, newsletter of the Kuskokwim Corporation, Summer 2011


Katherine Joseph William Divaadido' Peter Ch'igiioonta', 92, passed away Feb. 24, 2010, in Fairbanks. She was born Jan. 27, 1918, to Ann William Vilyil'yo', from Stevens Village, and Joseph William Divaadido', of Allakaket. Katherine was orphaned and raised in the household of the Chief Ezias Loola Gwats'oo and his wife, Katherine Ch'ilig Atree Englishoe Ch'ikhwaiitr'yah Stephen Loola Gwats'oo. She grew up in Fort Yukon. Katherine finished the eighth grade in Fort Yukon, and later at the Seward Sanatorium she picked up more classes to further her education. She was a strong believer in a good education. Katherine taught English and math to the Neets'aii Gwich'in during the 1940s and early 1950s before there was a regular school teacher in Arctic Village. She supported her family during the 1950s by working 12 hours each day, six days per week for $150 per month. She believed in earning a living and providing for her family. She was well remembered in Fort Yukon for the bakery that she had during the 1960s. People still talk about how they looked forward to her hot cinnamon rolls. She and her sister Louise would get up and set bread at 5 a.m. every day the bakery was open. Katherine worked with and taught the Gwich'in language at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Later, she received an honorary degree from the University of Alaska. Up to the last days of her life, she shared rare Gwich'in words that she had forgotten about but came upon again by association. She would say, "I don't have that word at the university." Katherine will be laid to rest in Arctic Village, the country of her early adulthood and her richest memories. She was preceded in death by her half brother, Sam Joseph Divaadido' and her brothers and sisters, Bessie, Sophie, Angus, Elijah, Lilly and Louise. She also is preceded in death by her husband, Stephen Tsee Gho' Tsyaa Tsal Peter Ch'igiioonta', and her infant son Calvin Peter Ch'igiioonta'. She is survived by her children, Bessie, Hannah, Paul, Jean, Adeline, Walter, Steven, Kathy and Webster, and numerous nephews and nieces, especially by Abraham Peter Stephen Skidadlostall, Steven, Margaret, Annie, Shirley Ann, Linda Mae and Bella, and by William Bill Stevens. She also is survived by numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren, among them Gloria, Peter Pan, Did-did, Angie, Brian, Brenda, Francine, Hannah, Tierra, Dane, Princess, Evon, Odin, Shajol, Cinga, Olav, Naniiezh, Ch'eelil, Cameron and Brandon. A memorial service will be held at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church at 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 27. A covered dish meal will follow and be shared by all at 6 p.m. at the parish hall. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to St. Matthew's Episcopal Church. Published in Daily News-Miner on February 25, 2010
PHILLIPS Onessia Phillips of Crooked Creek. 19 July 1929 - 2 March 2011. Source: The Kuskokwim Drift, newsletter of the Kuskokwim Corporation, Summer 2011
RUDE Ernest Edward Rude, 66, died March 14, 2002, at Sunset Home Care, Inc. in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Rude was born Nov. 5, 1935, in Flat, Alaska. He is survived by his mother, Johanna Kerr; daughter and son-in-law, Ronalda Rude-Olivera and Tony Olivera; son and daughter-in-law, Dale and Colleen Rude; grandchildren, Amariah Olivera, Robert Olivera, Ryan Olivera, Shawn Olivera, Christopher Olivera, and Alexa Rude; sisters, Evelyn Jones and Dorothy Nitz; adopted sisters, Kathy Johnson, Joan Bennet, and MaryEllen; brothers and sisters-in-law, Robert and Virginia Rude, James and Denise Kerr, and Glen and Angela Kerr; and many cousins, nieces, and nephews. Mr. Rude was preceded in death by his father, Herbert Rude, and his stepfather, Robert Kerr.
SCHNERER Agnes C. Schnerer, 65, of McMinnville, Oregon died November 6, 1998 at home. Mrs. Schnerer was born October 18, 1933 in Piamute, Alaska. She is survived by her husband Richard D. Schnerer.
SINGLEY Anne Patricia Singley, 41, died May 24, 2001, at Valley Hospital in Las Vegas, Nev. Ms. Singley was born Oct. 16, 1959, in Fort Yukon, Alaska. She is survived by her parents, Ted and Ellen Whip; sons, John T. Singley, Jeremy J. Singley, Jacob Singley and Justin Singley; and daughters, Theresa Ellen Marie Singley and Melissa K. Singley.
SNOW Former McGrath resident and lifelong Alaskan Evelyn Snow, 78, died of natural causes on Oct. 30, 1999, at Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage. 51 Services will be at 3 p.m. today at Evergreen Memorial Chapel, 737 E St., with the Rev. Thomas Gallagher officiating. Visitation will be for one hour prior to the service beginning at 2 p.m. Pallbearers will include Robert Magnuson Jr., Joseph Williams, Neil Rosander, Peter Snow III, Thomas Snow and Brian Dull. Honorary pallbearers will be Peter Snow II, Nicholas Snow, Robert Magnuson Sr., Ronald Rosander and Nick Dull. Burial will be in McGrath Cemetery. Mrs. Snow was born in Holy Cross on June 11, 1921, and was raised and educated in the mission. She married Peter Snow of Unalaska in Ophir, Alaska, in January 1940. She lived in McGrath most of her life and raised six children and helped raise numerous grandchildren. She was a homemaker who had been a midwife in earlier days. She enjoyed reading, cooking, baking, knitting and berrypicking. Since 1992, Mrs. Snow had been a resident of the Anchorage Pioneers' Home. Her family said, ''Evelyn had an infectious laugh that radiated to the people surrounding her. She would give you the coat off her back and people never left her house hungry. Evelyn had compassion for those in need and spent hours tending the sick. She assisted families in funeral preparation when someone died in the village. Evelyn could always make the best out of difficult situations. Evelyn will be truly missed by her family and many friends.'' Mrs. Snow is survived by her daughters, Lucille Magnuson of McGrath, Patricia Baldwin of Fairbanks, Judith Snow-Rosander of Anchorage and Tilly Snow of Toksook Bay; sons, Peter Snow II and Nicholas Snow, both of McGrath; 21 grandchildren; 18 great-grandchildren; sisters, Ann Curtis of Anchorage, Tassie Belt of San Diego and Mary McCarty of Louisiana; and adopted daughter, Grace Croley. The family suggests memorial donations to the Brother Francis Shelter, 1021 E. Third Ave., Anchorage 99501. Arrangements by Evergreen Memorial Chapel.
SOLOMON Lifelong Alaskan Garith Ignatius Solomon, 39, of Kaltag died Jan. 17, 2009, in Anchorage. His family wrote, "Our beloved brother, father, son and friend left us too soon." Garith was born Nov. 20, 1969, in Kaltag to William Solomon Sr. and Lidwin Solomon. Garith was raised in Kaltag. He graduated from Kaltag High School and attended the University of Alaska Anchorage. He worked as a laborer and bus driver. He truly was athletic and a happy-go-lucky guy. Garith had a no-nonsense kind of attitude. He participated in many sports such as running, basketball, snowshoeing, skiing and softball. Garith attended Anchorage Native Assembly. He is now happy with our Lord and wants us to carry on his happy moments. He was preceded in death by his father, William J. Solomon Sr.; and brother, William Solomon Jr. Garith leaves his wife, Catherine Tom Solomon; his daughter, Amanda Tom Solomon of Bethel; and his son, Michael Ambrose of Kaltag. Garith also leaves his brother, Clarence and wife Leah Solomon and their children, Angela and Ethan; baby sister, Mady and her fiance Duane and her son Cameron, all of Fairbanks; sister, Cecelia Solomon and her children Autumn and Isaiah of Wisconsin; sister, Wanda and her son Bernard Solomon of Anchorage; and his mother, Lidwin Solomon of Kaltag. He also leaves many friends too numerous to list, plus nieces, nephews, cousins, uncles, aunts, grandmas and grandpas. Garith Solomon's family wants to thank cousins Daniel Solomon, Nathie and George Bahr, Kaltag Tribal Office, the people of Kaltag, Semaken Girls and all for helping in Fairbanks and everywhere, Frontier & Warbelow's Flying Service, Doyon Ltd., Gana A'Yoo Ltd., Tanana Chiefs Conference and everyone for help/prayers in the time of our loss. "If we forgot to mention you, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Ana' Masee' and God Bless you all," his family wrote. Memorial donations to benefit his daughter, Amanda Solomon, may be made at Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, account 1444004.
SOLOMON Hundreds attend Fairbanks service for Athabascan leader
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner

FAIRBANKS -- Whether they had been scolded, encouraged, loved or touched in another way by her, hundreds of people mourned the loss of 102-year-old Athabascan matriarch Hannah Solomon on Thursday. Sacred Heart Cathedral saw those hundreds of people as they came to celebrate the life of Solomon, who died Sept. 16, 2011. At the front of the center aisle of the cathedral, a handmade white casket with floral trim sat. Inside, Solomon was dressed in a purple head scarf, flowered jacket and beaded slippers. A large, beaded cross was placed in her hands. People laid knit socks and mittens at her feet. The casket was lined with a silky floral print, mostly pink in color and cheerful despite its function. The fabric was requested by Solomon. "When she died, she wanted to be surrounded by flowers," said Michelle Peter, who helped her cousins create the lining. The occasion was more festive than might be expected at a funeral. Many of the attendees embraced each other in greeting and laughed with one another. Guest speakers had funny stories to share. Guitar and fiddle players played dancing music before the ceremony began. “At 102, it's a celebration of life," said guest speaker Rep. Reggie Joule, of Kotzebue, who first met Solomon in the 1970s during the World Eskimo-Indian Olympics, where he said she scolded him for misbehaving. "But it doesn't eliminate that piece that's gone." Solomon was born in 1908 in Old Rampart near the Canada border. She was raised in Fort Yukon and married Paul Solomon Sr. Together they created a family whose total size today is larger than many small villages. Solomon died with hundreds of descendants spanning five generations. In her time, Solomon helped create the Fairbanks Native Association, helped found the city of Fort Yukon and supported Tanana Chiefs Conference, the Alaska Federation of Natives, and Doyon Limited. She has pieces of her Athabascan artwork in museums around the world. According to the funeral speakers, though, it was Solomon's legacy of family, culture and leadership that was her greatest accomplishment. Southeast Sen. Albert Kookesh of Angoon was another of Solomon's guest speakers. A Tlingit Indian, Kookesh said he had married into the Athabascan culture and is proud to represent them, through his sprawling district, in the state Legislature. His uncle, Walter Soboleff, died this year at 102 as well. Soboleff was a Tlingit patriarch as Solomon was a matriarch. Kookesh said Soboleff taught him that in the Tlingit culture, totem poles are originally stood up with the support of woven tree roots acting as ropes. Over time, the roots deteriorate, and fall apart. When the rope breaks, however, the totem pole can still stand, embedded in the ground. "We all expect you to still stand," he told the family of Solomon. Steve Ginnis of the Fairbanks Native Association alternated between the Gwich'in language and English as he spoke about Solomon's lasting effect on the state and her culture. "Gwich'in people have always had a strong voice," he said. "We carry our pride. It was handed down to us through people like her. Grandma always said at every funeral: 'Love one another. Take care of each other. Respect each other'." Daisy Stevens, Solomon's daughter, put together a eulogy that told a story of her parents reuniting. Stevens wrote that on her parents' trek up the golden stairs to heaven, her mother stopped to turn around one last time. Her husband told her not to worry -- their many descendants would survive. "You have done a good job sharing your love with them and teaching them our traditional and cultural ways," Stevens wrote her father as saying. "Because of this, your work will be carried on for many generations to come."

SOLOMON William John Solomon, Sr., 1943-2008
6/15/09 Submitted by Fred Agree. Bill Solomon was an Athabaskan Indian born in Koyakuk, Alaska, a town just off the Yukon River. He moved downriver to Kaltag as a child, where he took an early interest in raising sled dogs. Bill ran the Iditarod three times. In 1976 he placed 30th. In 1977 he scratched with leader problems, and in 1978 in came in 27th. He ran many local races throughout the Yukon River villages. He was there at the Kaltag checkpoint for Iditarod Race thereafter, helping mushers, parking teams and encouraging the tired. With his river cap and white bow, and parka, he was the typical Athabaskan/River musher. Retiring from the Alaska National Guard in 1996, Bill was known for his athletic prowess in baseball, basketball, running, snowshoeing, and skiing as well as mushing. A snowmachine accident and massive head injuries took Bill Solomon to the "last checkpoint". Burial was in Kaltag Cemetery with an "active" potlatch feast afterwards. Seeya Bill !

TINDALL Ralph Henry Tindall, 59, died March 1, 2001, at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital in Fairbanks, Alaska. Mr. Tindall was born May 27, 1941 in Nenana, Alaska. He is survived by his brother Ben Tindall; sons, Neil and Curtis Tindall; and grandchildren, Silas, RD, Niesje, Jordon, Curtis Jr. and Raina Tindall.

Arnold Chase Walker Sr, 65, died April 7, 2005, at Alaska Regional Hospital in Anchorage, Alaska. He was born Aug. 21, 1939, in Anvik, Alaska. He is survived by his spouse, Charlene; daughters and sons-in-law, Anna and Antone Durgan, Susan and Rob Helgeson, and Sharon and Joe Zuboff; sons and daughters-in-law, Arnold Walker Jr. and Jan Walker and Phillip and Lenora Walker; sons, Leonard Walker, Patrick Walker, and Ry Walker; brothers, Gabe Walker and John Walker; 10 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren; and many cousins, nieces, nephews, aunts, and uncles.
WILLIAMS Alexie N. Williams, of Lower Kalskag, bn 28 Oct 1939, d 5 Mar 2011, Source: The Kuskokwim Drift, newsletter of the Kuskokwim Corporation, Summer 2011
WILSON Noel Benjaman Wilson, 59, died March 6, 2000, at his home. Mr. Wilson was born at Wilson's Slough on the Kuskokwim River near McGrath, Alaska, on May 18, 1940. He is survived by his wife Peggy Sue; his five children, Noelle Marie, John Bryan, Noel B. and Kenneth Lytle Wilson and Jennifer Pinard; nine grandchildren Christopher, Ben, Patricia, Keagan, Orin, Martin, Marshall, Kaylen and Ken; siblings; Jesse Renner, Patricia Grosz and Dan Callahan; many uncles, aunts, nieces and nephews.


Return to Home Page


©Copyright 2009 to present for the benefit of the AKGenWeb Project.