Historic

Photos

Nome Census Area,

AKGenWeb

If you have any records to add or a correction, please send to Trish Elliott-Kashima

 

 

Nome 1900, US Court House in background, George Leekley to the left then a deputy marshal at Nome. Mrs C B Garrett, then Mrs J F Mercer and last Mrs Dickey and infant named Nome.

Source: Alaska State Library Historical Collection

Nome in the gold rush days ca 1899.  Nome beach, crowded with people, tents, gear, buildings, building supplies, lumber, boats and prospecting gear.

Source: Alaska State Library Historical Collection, Clarence L Andrews Photographic collection.

Horse drawn wagons were used to move freight on the beach at Nome, October 22, 1900.  All passengers and supplies had to be brought to the beach by small vessels, then to Nome by wagon because Nome's port was shallow.

 

Source: Anchorage Museum of History and Art.

Eskimo Village and School House, Nome

 

Source: Alaska State Library - Historical Collection.

Nome, Winter 1899.  Businesses shown: Hubbard, Beeman and Hume Attys at Law; J K Sewell dentist; W T Hume, Lawyer; The Hunter; J S Kimball Co; Massage, Russian and Plain Baths; Grotto Liquors and Cigars; M J Reddy; Z B Zimdars Atty at Law and Notary Public. 

 

Source: Alaska State Library - Historical Collections.

Circle Hotel on Ophir Creek near Nome, 1900

 

Source: Alaska State Library - Historical Collection - William A Langille Photograph Collection.

Alaska Gold Rush

map

Native Umiak Dance, Nome. 

Photo ca 1911-1913.  One dancer and five drummers.

 

Source: Alaska State Library - Historical Collections

Arrival of the first mail of the season.  This was on May 30, 1906 when the mail sacks came on the steamer Corwin and were stacked on the beach.  First mail was an important event every year.

 

Source: Alaska State Library Historical Collection.

Nome Alaska

Jan 1907

Nome,

1900

Courtesy of Library

of Congress

Gas Schooner "Olga" went ashore and was wrecked in a strong autumn gale at Nome on October 24, 1909

Source: Alaska State Library Historical Collection, Dr Daniel S Neuman Photograph.

According to US Customs Wreck Report at Nome it was a 43 ton 64' wooden gas screw schooner. Capt Bain with a crew of men tried to haul her up on the beach. She was valued at $5,000 with no cargo. There was no one on board and no cargo at the time.  Master and owner was William Mogg of San Francisco.

Snowstorm in Nome, 1907

Nome Business district. Businesses in view include Lewis Brothers, H A Conn's and Miners and Merchants Bank.

Source: Alaska State Library Historical Collection, Lomen Brothers Photographic Collection.

Nome Waterfront

October 1908

 

Port Clarence

Photo courtesy of University of Alaska, Fairbanks Archives, Alaska's Digital Archives.

Nome, Post office on left, Holy Cross Hospital on right, Golden Gate Hotel on far left.

Photo courtesy of Charles S Hamlin Papers 1894-1904, Alaska's Digital Archives

 

Tollef Brevig, a Norweigian speaking teacher and Lutheran Missionary was hired as assistant superintendent at Teller Reindeer Station in 1893. 

Photo courtesy of Alaska St Library, Historical Collections, Alaska's Digital Library

Native huts and storage platforms, Teller Reindeer Station, 1894

Lapp and Eskimo at Teller Reindeer Station, ca 1894.

The early families would have included members of the Eira, Kemi, Larsen, Nakkila, Rist, Somby and Tornensis families.

Original photo was by Lt Howard Emery, USRCS

Houses on stilts on Little Diomede, 1915-1919

Nome Alaska, 1916

Trading Post, Council City, Nome, 1923

Council Alaska, 1903-1920

Marks Hotel, Council, 1906

Roadhouse, Cape Nome, 1901

"Dexter Saloon" called the only second class saloon in Alaska in the spring/summer. Run by Wyatt Earp and his wife Josephine in Nome.  They left after a few seasons - supposedly with $80,000.  1897-1900

USRC "Bear" and SS "Corwin", Roadstead, Nome, Alaska

Golden Gate Hotel #3, Nome Alaska

16 Sept 1903

Courtesy of University of Alaska Fairbanks, Archives

Front Street after a storm,  Nome, Alaska,

October 6, 1913

Photo courtesy of University of Alaska, Fairbanks, Archives.

Geiger Bridge

(over Snake River)

Nome

1901

Courtesy of Alaska Anchorage Archives and Special Collections

John Kill's Meat Market, Nome, ca 1898

Courtest of Alaska State Library, Historical Collection

Miner Money, Clearing House Association of Nome, 1908.

Courtesy of Anchorage Museum of History and Art, Library and Archives.

Return to Home Page

This page was last updated on -02/16/2018

Copyright 1999-present The AKGenWeb Project Team