Nome Census Area,


If you have any records to add or a correction, please send to Trish Elliott-Kashima



ADKISON Gladys Adkison died July 16, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage. Ms. Adkison was born July 3, 1937, in Nome, Alaska. She is survived by her husband, Harlan Adkison; daughters, Beverly Burkhalter, Cynthia Sears and husband, David; sons, Gregg Baldwin, Michael and wife, Denise Drake, and Ronald and wife, Sandra Drake; grandchildren, Aaron, Amanda, Erica, Jason, Lauren, Matthew, Ryan, Stephanie, and Willie; great-grandchildren Alexandria, Brooke, and Zacharias; and brother, Thomas Drake.
AGLOINGA Allen Larry Agloinga, 31, a White Mountain fisherman, prospector and mechanic, died Oct. 28, 1989 near White Mountain as a result of a snow machine accident. A service will be held later this week in White Mountain. Mr. Agloinga was born Sept. 20, 1951, in White Mountain. He enjoyed fishing, hunting, trapping, snowmachines and working on automobiles. Mr. Agloinga is survived by his parents, Percy Sr. and Elizabeth; his brothers, Phillip, Percy Jr., William and Charlie; and his sisters, Martha Creary, of Soldotna, Laura Monroe, of White Mountain, Maggie Comrie, of Anchorage, and Arlene Avugiak, of Chefornak. Burial will be in the White Mountain City Cemetery. Service arrangements were by Kehl's Forest Lawn Mortuary and Crematory.
AHGUPUK Kara Victoria Ahgupuk, 88, died Feb. 24, 2003, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Ahgupuk was born March 10, 1914, in Shishmaref, Alaska. She is survived by her daughter, Ruth Floyd; son and daughter-in-law, Ralph and Annie Ahgupuk; son, Robert L. Ahgupuk; granddaughters Beverly Breaux, Angie McLeod, Kara A. Sweeney, Lisa, Wilsa and Irene Ahgupuk; granddaughter-in-law, Christine Sweeney; grandsons, Michael Floyd, David Sweeney, Al, Charlie, and Thomas Ahgupuk; great-granddaughters, Kimberly Hamilton, Tiffany Miner, Jewel Huntsman, Kara Faye and Rachael McLeod; and great-grandsons, Henry Miner, Colton McLeod, Holdyn Floyd, Tyson and Eric Evans, and Ned, Henry, and Robin Ahgupuk.
AHWINONA Nome resident Hannah Ahwinona, 73, died Dec. 17, 2006, at Providence Extended Care Center. A funeral will be Friday at Nome Covenant Church. Pastor Harvey Fisk will officiate. Burial will be at Nome Cemetery. Mrs. Ahwinona was born Aug. 2, 1933, in Unalakleet. She completed the sixth grade and enjoyed knitting, crocheting, fishing, picking berries and camping. She was a member of the Nome Covenant Church and the Covenant Woman's Sewing Circle. Her family wrote, "Each year Hannah and Jacob spent the summer at their family fish camp, It-Ki-Gu-paaq, teaching each of their children the Inupiat subsistence lifestyle of gathering, preserving and curing of Native food. Hannah looked forward toward spending the summer months at fish camp, enjoying her favorite fresh Native fish of salmon, grayling and trout, and the abundance of salmonberries, blueberries, cranberries, blackberries and rhubarb. She was particularly proud of her "town oven" at fish camp, (where she baked) fresh bread, cakes and pies for her family." Mrs. Ahwinona is survived by her husband, Jacob Ahwinona of Nome; daughters and sons-in-law, Cynthia Ahwinona of Washington, D.C., Debra and Raymond Seetook Sr. of Wales and Dora Ahwinona and Greg Smith of Nome; niece, Doris Jackson of Anchorage; sister, Laura Paniptchuk; brother and sister-in-law, Walter Anagick and Arlene Soxie, all of Unalakleet; grandchildren, Andrew, Rachel, Florence and Raymond Seetook Jr. of Wales, Edna Jackson of Anchorage and Christian and Carlin Smith of Nome; and great-grandchildren, Henry and Fred Jacob Seetook of Wales. She was preceded in death by her son, Fred Ahwinona, and grandson, David Ahwinona. Arrangements are with Evergreen Memorial Chapel.
ALEXANDER Pioneer Betty Jefford Alexander died Oct. 25, 1985, at the age of 69. She was well-known in Nome as a miner, postmistress and Munz Airlines associate. Mrs. Alexander was the last of the original Jefford family consisting of well-known pilot Jack Jefford, mechanic Bill Jefford and their mother, Mary Jane Jefford. She was born Virginia Beth Jefford, on June 21, 1916, in McGrew, Neb. With her mother, she came to Nome in 1938 to join her brothers, who were flying for the old Mir-ow Air Service. She worked as a beautician in Nome until she met and married gold miner Heuston Alexander. For many years she mined in the Kougarok, founding Tiger Talisman Placer Mine, a family operation that is still being mined by her son. Devon. Mrs. Alexander was the first woman to attend an Alaska National Guard encampment. Prior to that she was trained to be on a radio team as part of the Alaska Early Warning System during World War II. Mrs. Alexander helped in the family businesses of Alexander Automotive and Nome Cab. She was also associated with Munz Airlines, where she ran a one- person office. She worked at the Nome post office for 20 years, as postmistress for six years, retiring in 1982. Mrs. Alexander was a member of Pioneers of Alaska, Auxiliary Igloo 1, where she held several offices. She was also a past president of Beta Sigma Phi. She is survived by her son, Devon Alexander of Anchorage; her daughter, Dean Brown of Wasilla; and two granddaughters. Anchorage Daily News, November 18, 1985
ALEXANDER Nellie Alexander, 81, died Feb. 12, 2002, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Alexander was born March 24, 1920 in Mary's Igloo, Alaska. She is survived by her sons, Robert Esenituk and Ralph Alexander; and her daughters, Sarah Esenituk Bonyfeltd and Mary Alexander.
ANARUK Wesley Gilbert Anaruk Sr., 68, died Aug. 9, 2004 at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage. Mr. Anaruk was born Sept. 11, 1935 in White Mountain, Alaska. He is survived by his ex-wife, Mary S. Anaruk; daughters, Amanda J. Anaruk, Beatrice “Alexis” Anaruk; daughter and son-in-law, Sabrina and Ricky Tocktoo; son and daughter-in-law, Samuel and Christina Anaruk; sons, Benjamin Anaruk and Wesley G. Anaruk Jr.; sisters, Viva Kinegak and Ebba Raos; brother, Samuel Anaruk; ten grandchildren, one great-granddaughter, and numerous nieces and nephews.
ANAWROK Kenneth Edgar Anawrok, 54, died Jan. 18, 2001, in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Anawrok was born in Unalakleet, Alaska, and is survived by Margaret Moore, Laura Paniptchuk, Walter Anagick, Rena Anawrok, Hanna Ahwinoa and Edgar Jackson.
ANDREWS Jennifer "Jenny" Lee Raphael Sinka Andrews died on March 13 at approximately 6:15 a.m. in Ann Arbor, Mich. Born March 22, 1984, in Nome, Alaska, she was just shy of 20 when she died unexpectedly.The length of her name reflects the journey her life took in search of a safe home and a loving family. She found that briefly when she was almost a year old in the foster care of Frank Wasmer and Nancy Schave when they lived in Nome. "When she was taken from us, she was termed 'gifted,'" Nancy said. "She was the sweetest little kid."Jenny's search began anew at four-and-a-half when a state agency transferred her to other foster homes, until she was adopted at seven by an elderly couple, Joseph and Agatha Sinka, who died four years later. Several years after their death, her biological mother Matilda Acoman also died. Jenny attended Skagway High School, graduating in 2003. She was a cadet with the Skagway Volunteer Fire Department's Emergency Medical Team for three years, and was active in a number of athletic activities at school. "She was swimming at one-and-a-half, and at three, she was fearless diving off the high board," recalled Frank. "She liked to sit on my arm and fish." Jenny worked summers at the National Park Service, Diamonds International, Westmark, and Moose on the Loose, where she learned she loved sales. "She could sell anything to anyone," said Nancy.At the time of her death, she was enrolled at Adrian College in Ann Arbor, Mich. A gifted writer, she was looking at writing as a profession. Several of the couple's 21 foster children consider Jenny a "sibling of affinity," a term Nancy coined for the members of the widely extended family created over the years. "She was always smiling and happy to see us," said Melanie Johnston, Frank's biological daughter, who traveled to Skagway for the memorial service held on March 20 at the Presbyterian Church. Memorial services were also held at the two rehab programs Jenny had attended in the Lower 48.
ATCHAK A young Stebbins man died after his snowmachine reportedly struck a raised piece of sea ice April 16, 2010. According to the Alaska State Troopers, Allen Atchak Jr., 19, was involved in the snowmachine accident on the sea ice near St. Michael at approximately 11 p.m. on April 16. He was evacuated to Nome where, according to a Trooper report, medical intervention failed April 17. The report said Atchak was traveling southwest on the ice when he was thrown from the machine, receiving internal injuries. Troopers said alcohol was a contributing factor in the incident.
BAHR Fred H. Bahr Sr., 55, died March 21, 2002, in Ninilchik, Alaska. Mr. Bahr was born Sept. 24, 1946, in Nome, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Elsie Sampson Bahr, and sons, Fred Bahr Jr. and Thomas Wayne Sampson.
BERGSRUD David Allen Bergsrud, NOME, Alaska - David, 66, died peacefully in his sleep Thursday, Dec. 4, 2008, at his home. He was born Feb. 2, 1942, in Spring Grove, Minn. He was the fifth of six children born to Walter and Lavern (Bryant) Bergsrud. Dave graduated from Spring Grove High School in 1960. He continued living in Spring Grove until 1964 when he drove his 1956 Pontiac up the Alcan Highway to Alaska, where he was employed at Western Geophysical in Anchorage. Dave married Gail (Holty) Modjeski in 1968 and had two children. He moved to Nome in the late 1970s, where he partnered Thrasher and Associates. After retiring, he found enjoyment in playing cards and driving for Checker Cab Company in Nome. He is survived by his daughter, Tanya (Gerry) Ryan of Trempeleau; and his son, Shawn (Jennie) Bergsrud of Winona, Minn. He has five special granddaughters, Shelby, Shyanne and Shaysie Ryan and Hailey and Miranda Bergsrud; two sisters, Berthana (JR) Wirth of Spring Grove and Lucinda Thomas of Four Oaks, N.C.; two brothers, Wesley (Peggy) Bergsrud of Anchorage and Daryel Bergsrud of Anchorage; and all of his numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and sister, LaDean Dahle of Hutchinson, Minn. Memorial services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, at Trinity Lutheran in Spring Grove.
BLATCHFORD Lifelong Alaskan Percy Blatchford, 82, died Jan. 12, 2003, at Central Peninsula General Hospital. Blatchford, an Inupiaq Eskimo, was born Oct. 9, 1920, in Golovin, Alaska, to Jenny and Charles Blatchford. Raised by his grandmother in the Norton Sound village of Elim, he spent his youth hunting and fishing until he was drafted to serve in World War II. World War II Veteran, amateur boxer, Navy Seal, Air Force rescue paramedic, subsistence hunter and father of four are some of his lifelong accomplishments. He served 30 years in the military with the distinction of being Alaska’s military heavyweight champion from 1944 to 1946. In 1944, he survived four rounds with Joe Lewis in an exhibition military fight while stationed in Adak. While at Adak, he helped capture a Japanese minisub and later trained as a member of an Air Force rescue squadron in the jungles of Panama during the Vietnam War. After retiring from the military, Blatchford worked for the state as a heavy equipment operator and enjoyed subsistence hunting and fishing in Cook Inlet. Blatchford never forgot his roots. He was known to be generous and happily shared his successes with his family and friends. He is survived by his children, Johnny Blatchford, Barbara Blatchford, Joel Blatchford and Lance Blatchford; brother and sisters, Bernice Greiner, Joe Blatchford, Violet “Vi” Mack, Rose Albrightson, Alan Blatchford and Gladys Armstrong; numerous grandchildren and many other family members.
BOWMAN Carl A. Bowman Sr., 70, died Nov. 6, 2004, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Bowman was born July 15, 1934, in Nome, Alaska. He is survived by his daughter, Linda Troyer; son, Carl A. Bowman Jr.; and brothers, Jim Bowman and Robert Bowman.
BUCK John Edward Buck, 59, attorney and farmer of Britt, Iowa, passed away at his home on Saturday, November 7, 2009. John was born to Erwin L. and Mary Louise (Trulson) Buck, on February 3, 1950. He graduated from the Britt High School before furthering his education at the University of Illinois - Champaign-Urbana, where he received his Certification in Airframe and Power Plant Mechanics, along with his mechanics inspector's authorization. His passion for flying and interest in the field of aviation led him to the Western Michigan University where he earned his Bachelor's Degree in Transportation. John always embodied an adventurous spirit and following graduation embarked on a plane trip with three close friends to explore the West Coast from the southern tip of Baja California at Cabo San Lucas to the far north of Barrow, Alaska. He entered law school in 1973 and while attending also instructed ground school courses at the airport. In 1976, he was invited by a good friend to move to Nome, Alaska, for work as a flight instructor. He and Robin Baumgartner, who later that year became his wife, hitch-hiked to Illinois, to fetch a small airplane that they ferried up to Nome to embark on this opportunity. In October 1976, John and Robin returned to Iowa City and John completed his studies at the law school, as well as continuing his work at a flight instructor locally. He finished law school in 1977 and passed the bar exam at the beginning of 1978. At that time he became one of ten people in the United States to hold a mechanic's certificate, inspection authorization and law degree. Later that year he and Robin moved to Britt. The couple had two children, Sarah in September of 1978 and Seth in February of 1981. In 1983, John was offered the position of General Manager at Bering Air and the family was once again relocated to Nome. In October of 1983, the family returned to the Britt area. John had an insatiable appetite for learning and as a result prospected many occupational pursuits which included in-house legal work and research and development for the Britt Tech Corporation, founding Kinetics, a wooden propeller manufacturing enterprise and practicing law with his father, independently, and later with partners and friends, Dave Fenchel and Paul Doster as Fenchel, Doster and Buck of Britt and Algona. John was an avid conservationist involved with Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, served as a Hancock County Soil Commissioner and engaged in sustainable and organic farming practices as well as the reconstruction of natural wetland and tall grass prairie habitat on his acreage. His interests and abilities spanned a broad spectrum and in this manner he brought people from many walks of life together. His presence will be greatly missed by many. John is survived by his daughter, Sarah, son, Seth and grandson, Timothy, all of Crystal Lake, Iowa; sisters, Kathryn Buck and friend, Mark Russell of New York, New York, Nancy and husband, Al Wilcox of Valrico, Florida, Sandy and husband, Bob Ehrig of Nevada, Iowa and Janine Rawlings of Marshalltown, Iowa; and brother, Andrew and wife, Michelle Townsend of Galena, Illinois; as well as numerous cousins, nieces, nephews and many, many friends. A gathering in celebration of John's life is being planned by Seth and Sarah to take place in the spring of 2010 when the waterfowl migrate through north Iowa, a time that was always very significant for John, and will take place at the family's farm.
CLARK Anchorage resident Ifginia Rosa Clark, 77, a homemaker, died Dec. 4, 1990 at Alaska Native Medical Center after a lengthy illness. A funeral will be held at 3:30 p.m. today at Kehl's Forest Lawn Mortuary and Crematory with the Rev. Keith Fullerton of Evangelical Covenant Church officiating. Mrs. Clark was born Sept. 23, 1913, in Unalakleet. According to her family, she loved to sew. She is survived by her daughters, Grace Scribner of Anchorage, Mabel Moses of Mekoryuk, and Ada Hengel of Winona, Minn.; her sons, Jerry Roberts of Bethel, and Alden Roberts of Anchorage; her brother, Harry Eakon of Unalakleet; her sister, Clara Gordon of Fairbanks; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Burial will be in the spring in Angelus Memorial Park.
DALY The remains of Alfred J. Daly were taken to Nome from the Tanana for interment. The Daily Alaska Dispatch, 29 Aug 1912
DAVID Lifelong Alaskan resident Joseph David Jr., 27, died Feb. 21, 1991 in Mekoryuk. A funeral was held Feb. 28 at Witzleben Family Funeral Homes and Crematory, Bragaw Chapel. The Rev. Keith Fullerton of the Evangelical Covenant Church officiated. A graveside service was conducted March 2 in Mekoryuk. Mr. David was born Feb. 15, 1964, in Nome. He grew up in Unalakleet, Mekoryuk, Bethel and Anchorage. He was a 1982 graduate of West Anchorage High School. He was a member of the Calista Regional Corp., and the Mekoryuk (NIMA) Village Corp. While living in Anchorage, he had been employed at Tony Roma's Restaurant. He later taught ivory-carving for the Lower Kuskokwim School District, and most recently had been employed at Bering Sea Reindeer Products in Mekoryuk. Mr. David is survived by his parents, Joseph and Margie, of Anchorage; his brothers, John of Mekoryuk, Dwayne of Anchorage, Morris King of Anchorage, and George Kink Jr. of South Naknek; his sisters, Rose Evon, Ruth Washington and Rena Nyako, all of Anchorage; and Sandra King of Fairbanks.
DAVIS Nome resident Lawrence Tingook Davis, 75, died at his Anchorage home Feb. 4, 2006, due to carcinoma. A funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the Nome Recreation Center. The Rev. Caleb Dotomain will officiate. Pallbearers will include Peter Neagle, Tim Lynch, Stan Piscoya, Bill Herzner, Shane McHale and Mike Piscoya. Burial will be at Nome Cemetery. Mr. Davis was born Feb. 24, 1930, in Deering to Lucy and Elmer Davis. He completed the ninth grade. Mr. Davis served as a member of the Alaska Territorial Guard of Deering from 1944 to 1948 and with the Alaska National Guard of Nome from 1951 to '58. The owner and operator of a reindeer herd in Nome since 1967, Mr. Davis was also the founder of the Reindeer Herder Association. He served as past president of Sitnasuak Native Corp., as a councilman on the Nome City Council and as a state representative. He was instrumental on the state level, his family said. Mr. Davis worked on the introduction and establishment of rural community colleges statewide and received historical recognition for the Iditarod Trail. He had also received an invitation to the White House to meet with President Ford. His family wrote: "Dad passed on his knowledge and experience of subsistence hunting, fishing, gathering, gold mining and the fine art of reindeer herding to the future generations." Mr. Davis is survived by his wife, MaryAnn Davis of Nome; sons and daughters-in-law, Bruce and Ann Davis of Soldotna, Clark and Dora Davis of Nome, Thomas Davis of Nome, and Jeff Davis of Anchorage; daughters and sons-in-law, Karen and Peter Neagle of Anchorage, Cheryl and Tim Lynch of Anchorage, Ruth and Stan Piscoya of Nome, and Paula and Bill Herzner of Nome; sisters, Ethel Karmun of Nome, and Flora Jepson, Mary Gibson and Queen Davis, all of Anchorage; brother, David Davis of Kotzebue; and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his son, William Davis; sister, Suzy Davis; and brothers, Clifford and Henry Davis. Arrangements were with Evergreen Memorial Chapel, 737 E St.
DIMMICK Harold Dimmick, 77, died Sept. 4, 2002, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Dimmick was born July 30, 1925, in Shishmaref, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Rachel; daughters, Arlene J. Hobson and Lily E. VanFleet; sons, Gordon K. Dimmick, John S. Dimmick, Russell A. Dimmick, and Robert E. Donlun.
DOBBINS Corsicana, Tex., May 17. - Five years ago Sam Dobbins, well known in this county, left Corsicana to engage in work on a railroad. Northing was heard of or from him until a few days ago, when his sister, Miss Emma Dobbins, received a letter from Cape Nome from young Dobbins' partner stating that young Dobbins had died of scurvy while trying to reach Cape Nome from the Klondike region. The letter had inclosed in it a photograph of young Dobbins and told a story of horrible sufferings and hardships in the efforts of the party of four men to reach Cape Nome from the interior of the Alaskan territory. Dobbins was buried in the mountain wilds, his body being wrapped in the pelts of animals, and his last request was that the news of his death be sent to his people in the country as soon as possible. The letter containing this news was dated Anvil City, Cape Nome, Jan. 5, 1900, and was written a year after young Dobbins' death.
Matrona Fitzhugh, 87, died February 24, 2000, at home. Mrs. Fitzhugh was born in St. Michael, Alaska, on July 2, 1912. She is survived by her daughter Aileen Razo; son Frank Fitzhugh and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
FRALEY Edith Carol Fraley, 61, of Anchorage, Alaska died August 9, 1999 at her home. Ms. Fraley was born June 20, 1938 on King Island, Alaska. She is survived by her sons Roger Newton, Daniel Rediske, Linval L. Fraley Jr., Wesley Fraley and Richard Putkonen; daughters Karen J. Moore and Carma J. Fraley; grandchildren Kyle Moore, Michael D. and Christie A. Fraley.
GALLEY Kenneth John Galley, 46, died Aug. 1, 2004, in Nome, Alaska. Mr. Galley was born Oct. 31, 1957, in Nome, Alaska. He is survived by his daughter, Sonita Cleveland; sisters, Clara Annoyac, Janet Miller and Aleta Pushruk; brothers, Stan Galley and Brian Wienard; and other relatives and good friends.
GRAHAM Mary Irene Graham, 92, died Oct. 15, 2003, at Culpepper Regional Hospital in Culpepper, Virginia. Ms. Graham was born Sept. 26, 1911, in St. Michaels, Alaska. She is survived by her son, James E. Graham, Jr.; sisters, Edna Hestnes and Ruth Ziesing; granddaughters, Nikki Graham and Darla Graham; grandsons, Kurt Graham and David Graham; and many nieces and nephews.
HAGBERG Einar William Hagberg, 65, died Nov. 1, 2002, at the Columbia Memorial Hospital in Astoria, Ore. Mr. Hagberg was born Aug. 23, 1937, in Nome, Alaska. He is survived by his daughter and son-in-law, Charlein and Jerry Sanford; son and daughter-in-law, Ross and Susan Hagberg; and grandchildren, Alexa and Lauren Sanford and Kristen, Kyle and Katie Anne Hagberg.
HERMAN Russell H. Herman, 46, of Anchorage, Alaska died Jan. 3, 1999 at his residence. Mr. Herman was born April 28, 1952 in Nome, Alaska. He is survived by his sisters Lorraine R. Kost and Dorothy E. Gregory; brothers Kenneth G., Thomas S. and Sidney J. Herman; aunts Etta Tocktoo, Helen Allatayuk and Lydia; numerous nieces, nephews and cousins and his best friend, Reggie Tungwenuk.
HARWOOD Harwood Dies of Injuries
Robert C. (Bob) Harwood died April 3, [1974] as a result of injuries received in a snowmachine accident. He was 44 years old. He was born July 19, [1930] in Sprague, Washington state, son of Boyd and Mildred Harwood. Harwood was a veteran of the Korean Conflict (war) after graduating from high school in Snohomish, Washington state following his attendance at Fairbanks High School and he also attended the University of Washington for two years. He was well known in Nome and the vicinity and was active in pushing sporting events. During his service in Korea, Harwood won the Korean Service Ribbon, the United Nations Ribbon and the Good Conduct Medal. In Nome he was active in the Masonic Lodge which he joined here, was a member of the American Legion, the Jaycees, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Nome Volunteer Fire Department. Harwood participated in basketball both as a player and coach and was in the Midnight Sun Raft Race each year. Besides his mother, Harwood leaves a sister Mrs. Robert Shick, and two children Kathy Lynn and Robert Jr. Funeral services have not been announced pending results of an autopsy which was being performed in Anchorage. Funeral Services will be under the direction of Anvil Lodge 140 with Worshipful Master Edgar A. Spruce Jr. officiating. Burial will be Belmont Point Cemetery. The Nome Nugget, submitted courtesy of Sharon Pearson.
JOHNSON Billy Blackjack Johnson, 78, died June 24, 2003, at the Heritage Hospital in Tarboro, N.C. Mr. Johnson was born Sept. 13, 1924, in Nome, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Janice Johnson; three daughters, Audrey Johnson, Jane Vollant, and Caroline Cooke; five sons, Fredrick, Michael, Kenneth, Robert, and Steve Johnson; one stepdaughter, Lisa Ruffin; 13 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
JOHNSEN Longtime Nome resident Harry Edward "Cookie" Johnsen Jr., 63, died June 24, 2005, at home of natural causes. A funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the United Methodist Church in Nome. Burial will follow at the Nome Cemetery. A potluck will follow at the Nome Eskimo Community Hall. Mr. Johnsen was born Jan. 3, 1942, in Nome to Harry Edward Johnsen Sr. and Laura Anna Johnsen. He worked for the state of Alaska as a surveyor's helper when home during summers from college, then finally as a meteorologist for the weather service (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Association). He also served six years in the National Guard as a radio operator and was a sharpshooter. Mr. Johnsen was honorably discharged from the military in 1971. His family said: "Like his father, Cookie was very talented musically. He played the saxophone, clarinet, trombone, violin, piano and accordion. He was so good on the sax that he could make one cry. "Cookie loved life and everything in it. He would walk up to a strange, chained-up dog which would be snarling, growling, lunging on its chain, wanting to bite, and make instant friends with it. He excelled at whatever he did, be it sports, hunting, fishing, or just plain being a friend. Cookie loved reading daily, and especially doing crossword puzzles." Mr. Johnsen is survived by his son, Richard Bruce Johnsen; sister, Edna Buffas; nieces, Doreen Schenkenberger, Angela Buffas-James, Renita Magnuson and Briggetta Reddaway; nephew, Sterling Buffas; and numerous other relatives and friends.
KALERAK Walter Kalerak, 65, died March 18, 2003, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Kalerak was born Nov. 2, 1937, in Solomon, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Ann Kalerak; daughters, Lynda Kalerak and Annette Piscoya; son, Walter Andrew Kalerak; granddaughters, Meghann Piscoya, Sarah, Harmony, and Lily Huntsman; grandsons, Ryan Kalerak, Benny, Cameron, and Andy Piscoya; and sisters, Esther Bahnke, Martha Anselm, Dolly and Ruth Kalerak.
KARP Chris F. Karp of Eugene [Oregon] died July 5 (2008) of cancer at age 72. A memorial gathering was held in Eugene and a memorial celebration is planned for August in Nome, Alaska. Karp was born May 27, 1936, in Baker City to William and Merna Burgess Karp. He married Carlene Millet on Dec. 11, 1960, in Reno, Nev. Karp served in the Army 298th Signal Corps in France from 1955 to 1957. He received a bachelor's degree in health, physical education and recreation from the University of Oregon in 1964. He worked in student union administration at Ithaca College, the University of Oregon and Western Washington State College. He was superintendent of Alaska State Operated Schools and an administrative officer for Alaska's department of transportation in Nome. Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Merna of Seattle and Robin of Nome; a son, David of Anchorage; a brother, Bill of Eugene; and 11 grandchildren. Arrangements by Andreason's Cremation& Burial Service in Springfield. Remembrances to the Chris Karp Memorial Fund in care of the University of Oregon Foundation, Eugene.
KERNAN Deborah “Cassie”Kernan, 45, died Dec. 22, 2004, at her home. She was born July 4, 1959, in Nome, Alaska. Cassie graduated from Service High in 1977. She attended both Johnson & Wales University and Loyola Marymount University. Mrs. Kernan lived in Nome, Fairbanks, Kenai and Nikiski. She married John P. Kernan in a hot air balloon over Anchorage on June 22, 1985. She is survived by her husband, John; sons Zeth and Jordan Kernan; stepdaugther Melissa Kernan; mother and CIRI shareholder Gertrude Ah’ Nee; brothers and CIRI shareholders William J. Miller, Robert E. Miller and Norman D. Miller Jr.; sisters and CIRI shareholders Antoinette Miller and Leesa Van Zandt; nieces Paula Bourdon, Michelle Nicholas, Amanda Kashtook and Amberly Miller; and nephew Devin Van Zandt. She was a member of the Alaska Native Lutheran Church and the Church of God of Soldotna. Cassie enjoyed sewing, arts and crafts and collecting teapots. Her family shares that she was known for her beautiful smile, always affectionate nature, warm hugs and quick wit – she will be missed greatly by all those who had the opportunity to know her.
KOMAKHUK John M. Komakhuk, Sr., 59, died July 22, 2002, at home in Eagle River, Alaska. Mr. Komakhuk was born July 17, 1943, near Solomon, Alaska. He is survived by his spouse, Carol Komakhuk; mother, Ethel Komakhuk; daughters and sons-in-law, Joannie and Gale Daw, Tina and John Whittaker; son Wayne Komakhuk; grandchildren, Jay, Timothy and Jessica Daw, Brandi and John Whittaker, Jr.; brothers, Hansel, Kenny, Sammy, Eddie, and Jonathon Komakhuk; and sisters, Molly Judd, Maggie Clark, Clara Beckman, Carol Elvsaas, and Myrtle Sabatis.
KOMAKHUK Minnie Ann (aka Anne) Komakhuk, 61, died June 14, 2002, at home in Anchorage. Ms. Komakhuk was born Aug. 30, 1940, in Solomon, Alaska. She is survived by her daughter, Starlette Komakhuk; sons Douglas, Roy and Samuel Komakhuk; daughter-in-law, Trudi Komakhuk; grand-children, Kristel, Tanya, David and Daneille Komakhuk; and her great-grandson, Alexander Stiles.
KOTONGAN Nome resident John Arthur Kotongan Sr., 34, died July 28, 2005 at Alaska Native Medical Center from massive head injuries. He was an organ donor. A service will be in Gambell at a later date. Mr. Kotongan was born July 13, 1971, in Anchorage to Betsy Kotongan of Gambell and Edwin Kotongan Jr. of Elim. He graduated from Aniguiin High School in 1989. He served in Desert Storm from 1990 until 1994 in the U.S. Marine Corps. He also worked as a village police officer in Gambell. Mr. Kotongan loved to hunt and provide food for his family. He went hunting every chance he got. His family wrote, "John was a very loving and caring father, son, and nephew." Mr. Kotongan is survived by his longtime companion, Tina Weyiouanna of Shishmaref; daughter, Sydney Kotongan; son, John Kotongan Jr., both of Nome; mother, Betsy Kotongan of Gambell; aunts, Rhoda Boolwon of Gambell, Judy Beltz, Donna Koonooka and Dorene Holbrooks of Anchorage, Rachel Ungarook of Barrow, and Carolyn Bradley of Elim; uncles, Merlin, Gerald, Job, Ben and Al Koonooka of Gambell, and Kenneth, Gabriel and Brian Kotongan of Elim; father, Edwin Kotongan Jr.; grandmother, Elizabeth Kotongan; and cousins, nephews, nieces, and friends. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Ilene Kakaruk and Harold Koonooka; aunts, Marjorie Maldanoto, Ila James, Jean Pungowiyi and Clara Nagaruk; grandfather, Edwin Kotongan Sr.; and uncle, Paul Kotongan. Arrangements are with Evergreen Memorial Chapel.
MALONEY Lydia Corrine Maloney, 64, died Aug. 4, 2001, at home in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Maloney was born Jan. 8, 1937 in Nome, Alaska and is survived by Glenn Daniel Irby.
MEEHAN Mae Pearl Meehan, 62, died May 21, 2004, at the Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Meehan was born May 13, 1942, in Elim, Alaska. She is survived by her husband, Robert V. Meehan Sr.; daughters, Susan L. Gibson, Michele L. Meehan, and Patricia P. Meehan; son, Robert V. Meehan Jr.; grandson, Robert C. Meehan, whom she raised; grandchildren, Laura, Rachel, Mason, Mandy, Blake, Christopher, Dustin, Alexandra, Efren Jr., Brandon, Tessie, and Austin; and great-grandchild, Taylor.
MILLIGROCK Nome resident Lincoln Edward Milligrock, 79, died July 12, 2010, at Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage.The funeral and burial were July 21 in Nome, with Pastor Harvey Fiskeau of the Covenant Church presiding.Born April 14, 1931, Lincoln lived in Alaska all his life. He was a skillful hunter and ivory carver, becoming well-known both locally and worldwide.Lincoln loved the outdoor activities, especially in summer. He was content piloting his boat, which he built; transporting family and friends to the fish camp; or finding a good berry patch. He enjoyed havingfamily members and friends close around him for picnics or for an evening of card games. He was always fair and gentle in disciplining his grandchildren or any child left in his care. Many strangers found his conversation interesting. He was patient with their questions about his carving or about the tools he used, some of which he created. He was always willing to be photographed; and he was well-respected and will be missed by many family and friends.He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Spike and Queenie Milligrock; his mother, Martha Elasanga; father, Dwight Milligrock Sr.; stepmother, Jessie; sister, Susie Pederson; brother, Alfred; half-brothers, Oscar and Percy; stepbrother, Ed Morris; stepsister, Irene Nuglene; daughter, Deborah; and sons, Thomas and Playdon Storis Milligrock.Lincoln is survived by his wife of 61 years, Emily; sister, Mesonga Atkinson; stepsister, Lydia; half-brothers, Vernon, Dwight Jr. and Douglas; half-sisters, Marilyn Grills, Elizabeth Ahwinona; children, Martha Didio, Sylvia Eningowuk, Rose Guilbeau and Sara; and son, Mark; grandchildren, Elizabeth, Matthew, Marsha, Melinda, Clarissa, Storis, Gina, Johnny and Mayac; and numerous great-grandchildren and nieces and nephews.
MOSQUITO Burl F. Mosquito Sr., 59, died Oct. 22, 2003, at the Alaska Native Medical Center, in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Mosquito was born Aug. 18, 1944, in Igloo, Alaska. He is survived by his daughters, Delores Savage, Ellen Milligrock, and Madelon B. Meyer; and sons, Burl F. Mosquito Jr. and Mark Mosquito.
MOSQUITO Ruben Inuituk Mosquito, 54, died April 15, 2004, at home in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Mosquito was born in Teller, Alaska. He is survived by his father, Frank N. Mosquito; sisters, Helen McClusky and Stella L. Dau; and brothers, Roger Mosquito Sr., Einer Mosquito, and Frank Mosquito Jr. relevant
NOLLNER It was one of the great cliffhangers of the 20th century, one that held a nation in white-knuckled thrall for more than a week in 1925 as the world wondered whether a supply of life-saving serum would make it to icebound Nome, Alaska, in time to save the town's 1,429 residents from a raging diphtheria epidemic. Now, almost three-quarters of a century later, an event that dominated radio broadcasts and newspaper headlines is a fading memory. The tale has often been told, but when Edgar Nollner died on Monday at his home in Galena, Alaska, it seemed time to tell it once more: Mr. Nollner, who was 94, was the last of the 20 intrepid mushers and more than 150 dogs who became national heroes when they made their way in relays through raging storms over 674 forbidding miles to save a town and carve a legend in the snow. The race against death, as it was called, inspired statues and speeches and eventually the annual Iditarod dog sled race, but to Mr. Nollner it was simply a day's work. The son of a Missouri man who came over the Chilkoot Pass for the 1890's gold rush, Mr. Nollner, whose mother was an Athabascan Indian, was born 10 miles upriver in Old Village, but from the age of 15 he made his home and his living in the Yukon River town of Galena. He was 20 when the call went out for the territory's best dog sledders to form a relay from the railhead at Nenana to Nome. Like the others, he was an experienced musher who carried the mail and other supplies by dog sled, raced and used his sled to haul wood and carry home the area's abundant game. It was on Jan. 21 that the first ominous Morse code message from Dr. Curtis Welch, Nome's only physician and the head of the Public Health Service's most remote outpost, clacked out over radiotelegraph to ''Ouside,'' as Alaskans called the rest of the world. Reporting several cases of diphtheria, a highly contagious and often fatal respiratory ailment, and two deaths, Dr. Welch, who was rapidly using up Nome's 7,500 units of six-year-old antitoxin, issued an urgent appeal for more of the serum, the only hope, he warned, of averting a full-scale epidemic in a community whose large Eskimo population had proved vulnerable to alien diseases. A supply of 300,000 units, enough to cure about 100 patients or treat perhaps 300 exposed to the disease, was swiftly traced to the Anchorage Railroad Hospital, but the question was how to get it the 1,000 miles to Nome. Delivery by air seemed the obvious answer, but with Alaska's only two planes, both open-cockpit models, crated for the winter, the territorial Governor, Scot C. Bone, knew such an effort would be futile -- and in the frigid, windy weather almost certainly fatal. He was willing enough to let pilots risk their lives, but he would not risk the serum. So, turning to a more reliable, 19th-century technology, he ordered the serum sent by rail from Anchorage to Nenana, 298 miles to the north. From there, it would be a matter of men and their dogs. The train arrived at Nenana at 10:30 P.M. on the 27th, and the fur-wrapped 20-pound cylinder was handed over to Wild Bill Shannon, who lashed it to his sled, called out to his malamutes and set off down the frozen Tanana River into history. At a time when Nome received almost all of its winter supplies by dog sled, it normally took a musher 15 to 20 days to make the trip over the old Iditarod Trail, and never less than 9. But with 20 mushers and dog teams dividing the trek into short sprints, the serum flew across the territory, arriving in Nome on Feb. 2 in a record 5 days and 7 hours. Mr. Nollner, who had the 10th leg, had been scheduled to take a 42-mile run, but when his married younger brother, George, asked for a role, he let him drive the last 18 miles. Like others, Mr. Nollner, who ran his leg at night, covering the 24 miles from Whiskey Point to Galena in three hours, reported so much blowing snow that he could not see his dogs but really did not need to. The dogs, led by his trusty Dixie, knew the trail and never faltered. Mr. Nollner's friend Charlie Evans did not fare as well. On his 30-mile run from Bishop Mountain to Nulato, Mr. Evans's two lead dogs froze to death in harness, so he did the obvious thing -- he took their place and pulled along with his other dogs on the final miles of the run. Within days after the serum arrived in Nome (frozen but quickly thawed), the epidemic, which claimed five lives, had been broken. The 20 men and scores of dogs on the famed serum run were all hailed as heroes, but to most students of the event, the Norwegian-born Leonhard Seppala and his lead dog, a 48-pound Siberian husky named Togo, were the most heroic, because they traveled the first and longest leg of the run, 260 miles, before handing off the serum. But much of the credit ended up going to a second-string lead dog on the final 55-mile leg, Balto, whose background was garbled with Togo's in glowing news reports of the day. A statue of Balto, the subject of a children's book and a 1995 animated movie, stands in Central Park, and his stuffed body has been exhibited at museums in Cleveland and Anchorage. For all the acclaim it received, the serum run marked the end of an era. Before the year was over, Alaska's scheduled air service and the proliferation of snow machines brought an end to mushing as an essential north country occupation. The Iditarod, a network of interconnecting trails extending for more than 2,000 miles, was soon abandoned until parts of it were revived in 1973 for the annual race. And if the threat of diphtheria now seems quaint, it is only because the serum run brought an end to the disease as a health menace in the United States. To Mr. Nollner, a treasured fixture at the modern Iditarod race, greeting the mushers as they came through Galena, the serum run was just part of a lifetime in the wild. A man who recalled when caribou, beavers, foxes and wolverines abounded, and the springtime skies would be so black with migrating geese that a single shot could feed a family for a month, he continued to live the outdoor life. A gregarious sort who was widely admired, he was always the life of the party at the great north country potlatch celebrations, and he liked dancing almost as much as he did hunting. Along the way, he married twice and fathered two dozen children, 20 of whom survive, along with what some of them insist are more than 200 grandchildren and no telling how many great-grandchildren. Despite the end of the dog sled era, Mr. Nollner did not abandon his dogs and sleds right away. Nor did he abandon saving lives. In February 1953, while gathering wood with his dog team, he heard an Air Force plane crash. Finding two wounded officers on the verge of freezing to death in temperatures 54 degrees below zero, he built a fire and called his friend Charlie Evans to help him get them to town. A quarter-century later when one of the officers, Lionel Levin, tracked him down, Mr. Nollner told him it had simply been a day's work.
NOYAKUK Ralph Nulikina Noyakuk, 87, died Sept. 5, 2003, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Noyakuk was born June 16, 1916, in Shishmaref, Alaska. He is survived by his daughter, Alice C. Noyakuk.
NAYOKPUK 'Cannonball' passes on...HERBIE NAYOKPUK: Iditarod legend leaves legacy that is known around the world.
Herbie Nayokpuk never strayed far from his lifelong home on a remote Island at the edge of the Bering Strait north of Nome, but his fame spread around the globe. A dog musher from youth on, he was known to Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race fans all over the world as "The Shishmaref Cannonball,'' a nickname blending his home village of Shishmaref with his straight-ahead style in both dog mushing and life: always smiling, always happy, charging into the new day with the enthusiasm of a puppy.
Nayokpuk, 77, died Saturday afternoon [4 Dec 2006] at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, surrounded by family members. He suffered a massive stroke at his home in mid-November then lapsed into a coma.
Vincent S. Okpealuk, 53, of Wales, Alaska died Feb. 28, 1999 at his residence. Mr. Okpealuk was born May 13, 1945 in Little Diomede, Alaska. He is survived by wife Marie Okpealuk; sons Jacob Soolook, Kyle, Lane and Kellen Okpealuk and daughters Madeleine, Alexandria and Florence Okpealuk
OKSOKTARUK Phillip Noah Oksoktaruk, 48, died Feb. 16, at home in Seattle, Wash. Mr. Oksoktaruk was born Dec. 21, 1956, in Nome, Alaska. He enjoyed fishing, computer games, traveling and making people laugh. Mr. Oksoktaruk was laid to rest in White Mountain, Alaska, his native home. He is survived by Jeannie Wells; daughter, Anisha Lumiansky; sons, Loren Henry and Quinn Oksoktaruk; sisters, Lucy Ione, Tina Munsson, Laura Oksoktaruk, Daleen Soxie, Helma Soxie, Jennie Spivey and Evelyn Wilson; and brother, David Oksoktaruk.
OMAN Nome resident William "Bill" Oscar Oman, 61, died July 20, 2005, at Alaska Native Medical Center with family members present.A service was July 25 in Nome. Mr. Oman was born July 18, 1944, in Candle, to Carl and Lela Kiana Oman. He graduated in 1963 from Nome High School, where he was proud to have been a Nome Nanook and was known as "Big Bill." Mr. Oman married Charlene Frazier and together they had his only child, Tina Oman-Green. In March 1968, he was drafted into the U.S. Army and served until 1970. During his service he earned the Combat Infantryman's Badge, Army Commendation Medal, Bronze Star, Air Medal and Vietnam Combat Certificate. Mr. Oman was employed with Alaska Airlines as a cargo handler for many years and as a bartender for the Arctic Native Brotherhood. Along with several other jobs, he worked on the North Slope during construction of the trans-Alaska oil pipeline. He was an active member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion in Nome and assisted during the design and construction of the VFW Hall. He was proud to have been a former commander and was a trustee at his death. He was also a member of the Arctic Native Brotherhood in Nome. He loved to go fishing, crabbing, boating and to the Reno Air Races. He had many friends who fondly called him "Billy-O." His family writes: "Our father, grandfather, son, brother and friend was caring, kind and always put others before him. He will be greatly missed, but we will always feel his presence in our hearts." Mr. Oman is survived by his daughter, Tina Oman-Green; granddaughter, LaSheaya Williams; mother, Lela Oman; sisters and their husbands, Irene and Earl Merchant, and June and George Briggs; brothers, Bob Oman and his wife, Anne, and Lee Oman; many nieces and nephews, including Earl III, Carl, Jodi and Bill Merchant, Alison and Elizabeth Briggs, Lisa, Cindy, Bobby and Lynnee Oman, and John, Carl, Sheryl and Kristen Oman.
ONGTOWASRUK Sonya Marie Ongtowasruk left to be with our Lord on March 30, 2010.Sonya was born in Nome, Alaska on July 16, 1985 to Victor and Linda Ongtowasruk. She gave birth to two very beautiful daughters; Chelsea Ida, and Mary Jane who she loved dearly. Sonya graduated from Wales Kingikmiut School in 2003. During her high school years she was very active in sports: basketball, volleyball, skiing and cross country running. Traveling during these activities she made many friends throughout the region. She enjoyed corralling, picking greens, Eskimo dancing, climbing Razorback Mountain, hanging out with her sisters and friends, playing board games, and listening to music. Sonya was most passionate about taking very good care of her daughters, keeping them on schedule and making sure they were happy. She was recently employed by the Wales Native Store as Assistant Store Manager. Past employment: Children's House and Bright Beginning Day Care Center in Palmer, Native Village of Wales After School Coordinator, Bingo Caller/Collector, and participated in the Wales Youth Committee. She is survived by her companion: Stanley Milligrock, her two beautiful daughters Chelsea Ida, and Mary Jane Ongtowasruk; mother Linda A. Ongtowasruk; sisters Victoria and companion Mack Moore, Ada Wellert and companion John Tocktoo; Katie and companion Clark Okpealuk; Julia Ongtowasruk; and brother John David Ongtowasruk; grandmothers Faye Ongtowasruk of Wales, and Clara Topkok of Teller; uncles Frank and Francis Ongtowasruk of Shishmaref; Clyde and Michele; J. Coy; and Davis Ongtowasruk of Wales; and Nathan Topkok and companion Rhonda Komonaseak of Teller; aunts Loretta and Dave Parker, Sr. of Anchorage; Barbara and Jonathan Weyiouanna of Nome; Fannie and Tony Weyiouanna Sr. of Shishmaref; Grace Hilbert of Anchorage; Jenny and Charlie Lee of Teller; Ruby and companion Marvin Kulowiyi; nephews and nieces Tyler, Johnelle, Jerilyn, Amy and Karalee Wellert; Roxanne and Lucien Ongtowasruk; and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. She was preceded in death by her father Victor T. Ongtowasruk; sister Ida Jennifer Ongtowasruk; and grandfathers Clarence Ongtowasruk and Wayne Topkok
OUTWATER Walter "Emuk" Outwater Sr., 85, was born in Noorvik on Nov. 24, 1919, to Ruby Outwater and Murphy Johnson. He was raised as a loving son to Ruby and Clay Outwater. Said Walter of his wife, Ruth, "I trusted her in everything. In the early times of our marriage, I knew that she would be okay, knowing that the home and our children would be taken care of." They were married on Sept. 22, 1938 in Candle. Walter became a pastoral student at the Evangelical Covenant Church and was dedicated at the Wales yearly conference in 1960. He received his Pastor's Certificate and a congratulatory recognition from Gov. William Egan. Walter moved his family to Anchorage in 1969 where he worked for the Anchorage School District at West High School as a maintenance technician. While working there he started and faithfully served as pastor for the Anchorage Friends Church until he retired from his pastorship. While fishing on the Yukon River, he heard a message on KICY that he was elected to be Superintendent of the Alaska Yearly meeting at Kotzebue in 1983. After accepting the position, he served as Superintendent for four years, went to pastor at Deering and Nome, and re-retired in 1992.
PHILLIPS Mr. Clarence J. "C.J." Phillips, 82, of Oceanside, Calif., died Feb. 22, 2006. He was born on Jan 28, 1924. Mr. Phillips lived life with gusto and enthusiasm. He was a dreamer and a doer. In 1947, he went to Nome, Alaska and his love of Nome and all of Alaska never died. He spent over 50 years in Alaska. He was a proud member of Pioneer Igloo #1. He owned Nome Liquor Store and was the first person to continuously buy fish commercially on Norton Sound. He had the first winter commercial crab operation in Nome. He was a recognized authority on Geothermal Energy and was convinced Norton Sound could derive its energy needs from the Geothermal Energy Pilgrim Hot Springs could produce. Mr. Phillips was also well known for his stories. His repertoire increased as he listened to the "gold rush" prospectors, built runways in villages, worked on "White Alice" communications sites and did soil survey work on the Parks Highway Project, etc. He was a free spirit in life and now his spirit is free to travel even further. Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Rosemary Phillips; a brother, sisters and in-laws, Herman and Betty Watson, Odas and Annette Watson, Annie Wallace, Margaret Phillips, Mary Norris and Judy Watson. He was preceded in death by his father, Jordon Phillips; mother, Bonnie Phillips Watson; sisters, Nell Pope and Catherine Blevins; brothers, Marshall Phillips, Ed Phillips and John Watson, all from Shady Valley, Tenn. and Watauga County, N.C. He will join his much beloved Grandmother Main in Shady Valley, Tennessee. Services will be conducted Monday evening at 7 p.m., Feb. 27, from the Hux-Lipford Funeral Home Chapel with Dr. Thomas Peake to officiate. The family will receive friends from 5-7:00 p.m. at the funeral home, prior to services on Monday. Interment will be in the Billy Hill Cemetery, Shady Valley, Tenn. Condolences may be sent to the family through the website Hux-Lipford Funeral Home of Mountain City, Tenn. is serving the Phillips Family.
POGGAS Bern Roberta Canon Poggas, 60, died April 10, 2002, at home in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Poggas was born April 5, 1942, in Nome, Alaska. She is survived by her sister, Josephine Thomas; brother, Mike Canon; sister-in-law, Georgia M. Bass; and brother-in-law, Robert A. Poggas.
SAMBO Harry Alexander Sambo, 74, died May 10, 2003, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Sambo was born Nov. 22, 1928, in Unalakleet, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Louise Nadia Sambo; sister, Betsy Sambo; and brothers, Richard and Robert Sambo.
PUSHRUK Thomas Pushruk Anchorage resident and lifelong Alaskan Thomas Annorak Pushruk, 84, died peacefully in his sleep April 10, 2010, at the Alaska Native Medical Center. A celebration of life will be Friday at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Palmer, with visitation at 10 a.m., rosary at 11:30 a.m. and a Mass of Christian burial at noon. Father Marilag Nelson will officiate. Burial will be afterward at the Pioneer Cemetery in Palmer, and a potluck will be after the burial. Pallbearers are Wayne Pushruk, Tony Pushruk, Robert Pushruk, Sammy Mogg III, Curtis Lundy and Frank Pushruk. Honorary pallbearer is Dean Pushruk. Mr. Pushruk was born June 25, 1925, in Ukivok on King Island to Mary and Anthony Pushruk I. In 1942, he joined the Alaska Territorial Guard and later the U.S. Army. In Nome, he worked as a mechanic for Q-Trucking. He was also an accomplished ivory carver. Mr. Pushruk is survived by his brother, Wayne Pushruk; son, Vince Pikgonna and wife, Bess; daughters, Elizabeth Butler and Bernadette Muktoyuk and husband, Harold; sister-in-law, Helen Pushruk; and many relatives, nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews. Arrangements are with Legacy Funeral Homes, Kehl's Chapel.
SCHMIDT Frank Charles Schmidt, 82, died March 14, 2010, at Providence Alaska Medical Center from a heart attack. A service will be at 1 p.m., with visitation from noon to 1 p.m., today at Evergreen Memorial Chapel, 737 E St., Anchorage. Pastor Andy Heer will officiate. He will be laid to rest at Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery on Ninth Avenue at 2:30 p.m. Pallbearers will be Casi Knoedler, Howard Chivers, Sam Grosvold and Jos Dugan. Frank was born Oct. 5, 1928, in Burwin, Ill. He moved to Alaska in 1956 and lived in Kenai. He was also a resident of Anchorage and Unalakleet. He worked as a jeweler for his father in Chicago, served as a volunteer fireman, was a master carpenter and a retired roofer from Rainproof Roofing. He enjoyed fishing, building, hunting, fixing and doing repairs, and was an ulu knife maker. He is survived by wife, Daisy Anna Schmidt of Kenai; brother, James Schmidt of Chicago; sister, Catherine Schmidt of Chicago; daughter, Cathy Kotongan of Unalakleet; daughter, June, and husband Bobby Haught of Tunnelton, W.Va.; son, Sam Grosvold of Kenai; daughter-in-law, Carla Grosvold of Kenai; grandsons, Ray Redington Jr., Vernon Redington, Ryan Redington, Byron Kotongan, Clayton Kotongan, B.J. Haught, Wesley Haught, Charlie Grosvold, Michael Grosvold, John John Grosvold, Joshua Grosvold; and granddaughters, Cory Haught and Bambie Grosvold. He was preceded in death by his mother, Catherine Schmidt, and daughter, Nicky.
SCHRAMMECK Helga Naomi Schrammeck, 49, died May 2, 2002, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. She was born Aug. 2, 1952, at the Shaktoolik River Fish Camp in northwest Alaska. She is survived by her son, Dennis Katchatag; mother, Mary Katchatag; father, Clarence Katchatag, Sr.; sisters, Helen Katchatag, Colleen Rock, and Charlotte Sookiayak; and brothers, Monroe Eakon, Van Katchatag, Timothy Katchatag, Clarence Katchatag, Jr., and Albert Katchatag.
SEETOMONA Max M. Seetomona, 54, died April 2, 2001, in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Seetomona was born August 14, 1946, in Shishmaref, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Viola Seetomona; mother, Glenna Seetomona; daughters, Jennifer and Catherine Seetomona; son, Thomas Seetomona; step-daughter, Rhonda Curtin; step-son, Raymond E. Valois; brothers, Elmer Avessuk and Raymond, Steve, Coolidge and Charlie Seetomona; sisters, Lorena and Marilyn Seetomona and Harriett Cutshall; nine grandchildren and 14 nieces and nephews.
SEETOMONA Raymond Wooksuk Seetomona, 66, died Sept. 28, 2003, at Providence Hospital in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Seetomona was born June 25, 1937, in Shishmaref, Alaska. He is survived by his wife, Linda Chi Seetomona; daughter, Thuha Nakasone; daughters and sons-in-law, Mimi and Edgar Tinajero, and Joanne and Michael Yim; sons and daughters-in-law, Terry and Danelle Seetomona, and David and Marcella Seetomona; mother, Glenna Seetomona; sisters, Lorena Seetomona, Harriet Cutshall, and Marilyn Seetomona; and brothers, Elmer Avessuk, Steve Seetomona, Coolidge Seetomona, and Charlie Seetomona.
SELLERS Ruth E. Sellers, 77, of Anchorage, Alaska died June 27, 1999 at Elmendorf Hospital. Mrs. Sellers was born June 6, 1922 at Cape Darby, Alaska. She is survived by her husband Charles Sellers; sons, Gerald Beltz, Thomas L. Beltz Jr. and Robert Sellers; daughters, Pauline Hooten, Ruth Chambliss and Kathy McCune; 10 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
SLWOOKO Unalakleet minister Howard Iyangasuk Slwooko Sr., 77, died June 20, 1997, at Alaska Native Medical Center. A funeral will be held at 6 p.m. today at Evangelical Covenant Church, 1145 C St., with the Rev. Phillip Axelson officiating. Visitation will begin at 4 p.m. Pallbearers will include Walter Slwooko, Howard Slwooko Jr., David Slwooko, Merle Towarak, Melvin Towarak and George Sookiayak Jr. Honorary pallbearers will be Gene Amidon, Harold Ahmasuk Jr., Vernon Slwooko Sr., Tim Gologeran, Chip Swanson and David Hendrickson. Additional services will be held at Unalakleet Covenant Church. Burial will be in Nome at a later date. The Rev. Slwooko was born Nov. 3, 1919, at Boxer Bay on St. Lawrence Island. His formal education ended with the third grade. He was a self-taught mechanic, carpenter, welder and heavy-equipment operator. He was also an ordained minister in the Evangelical Covenant Church. The Rev. Slwooko lived in Elim, Nunivak Island, Mekoryuk, Hooper Bay, Mountain Village, Shaktoolik and Unalakleet. He served in the U.S. Army and Alaska Territorial Guard. He received an honorable discharge from the National Guard in 1979. The Rev. Slwooko enjoyed subsistence hunting and gathering. He also enjoyed carving, and reading his Bible. His favorite verse was Psalm 16:8. Family members said: ''Dad provided for his family all his life, both spiritual and subsistence. He loved his family, especially his grandchildren. He will be greatly missed by family and everyone he touched. Peace to his memory.'' Survivors include his wife, Ellen Slwooko, sons, Walter Slwooko and Howard Slwooko Jr., all of Unalakleet; daughters, Marlene Towarak of Unalakleet and Harriette Slwooko of Ketchikan; brother, Vernon Slwooko of Gambell; sisters, Sarah Palcino of Tacoma, Wash., Agnes Turner and Helen Carius of Anchorage and Mary Lane and Alayne Booshu of Gambell; grandchildren, Myra and David Slwooko, George Sookiayak Jr., Ethan Sheyan, and Meryl, Merle, Melvin, Marty and Matthew Towarak; and many other relatives and friends. Arrangements were by Evergreen Memorial Chapel.
SHERMAN Nome resident Nancy Betty Teayoumeak Sherman, 61, died Oct. 14, 1996, in Anchorage. A visitation will be from noon until 2 p.m. today at Evergreen Memorial Chapel, downtown. An additional service will be conducted Oct. 19 at the Nome Lutheran Church. Mrs. Sherman was born March 1, 1935, in Brevig Mission to Tommy and Grace Teayoumeak of Brevig Mission and Nome. She had worked at the Nome Nugget Inn, the former Northern Commercial/ Alaska Commercial Co. store, the Polar Cub Restaurant, for Marriott Corp. on the North Slope and at Glacier Fisheries. Her family said, ''It was at Glacier Fisheries, her most recent place of employment, where she met many friends and even had developed a friendship with the cook who catered to her while she was on board the processing ship. Last year she spent her 60th birthday on board the fish processor. The cook made her a cake and she had a birthday party. A portion of the speech was that she was the oldest employee on board and she worked harder than some of the younger employees. A model employee, she cherished the trip and wrote letters home sharing her recognition. ''She was very active up to the time of her passing.'' Her hobbies included knitting and crocheting. She enjoyed subsistence activities including camping, picking berries and greens, drying fish in the summer and ice fishing in the winter, as well as commercial fishing. She loved baking, making homemade bread and fry bread for her family. She also enjoyed traveling and keeping in touch with family and friends. Mrs. Sherman's pride and joy were her grandchildren, whom she loved dearly. She was very conscientious about remembering and recognizing birthdays. Mrs. Sherman is survived by her mother, Grace Teayoumeak of Nome; her children, their spouses and her grandchildren, Barbara and Danny Aukon, and children, Christy Anne, Darryl and Michael, of Nome; Annie and Wayne Moses, and daughter Flossie of Teller; Peggy and Rob Luce and children, Stephen, Robin, Jeremy, Jessica, Elizabeth and Rebecca of Anchorage; J.T. Sherman and Myrtle Fagerstrom, and children, Jerry, Clarabell, Christie, Ryan, Stephanie, J.T., Cody and Casy of Nome; Hannah and Rick Kostiew of Nome; Nick Sherman and his daughter, Jamie, of Anchorage; and Robert Sherman Jr. of Teller; siblings and their spouses, Arnold and Tillie Teayoumeak of Point Hope, Albert and Marie Teayoumeak of Stebbins, Sam Teayoumeak of Anchorage, Thomas Teayoumeak Jr. of Brevig Mission, Edna and John Flynn of Tununak, and Betty and Paul Bell of Nome.
SNYDER Corinne M. Snyder, 75, died April 20, 2003, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Snyder was born to Anna and Roy Snyder Sr. in Nome, Alaska, and was the oldest of five children. She loved to bake and entertain family and friends. She was a past employee of the U.S. Post Office and ACS. She is survived by her sister, Roberta Reyes; brothers, Roy Snyder Jr. and Charles Snyder; as well as other family members.

Unalakleet resident Clifford Althen Soxie, 70, died Sept. 25, 2005, at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle of an aneurism. A visitation was Sept. 30 at Evergreen Memorial Chapel. A service was Monday at Unalakleet Covenant Church. The Rev. Joel Oyoumick officiated. Pallbearers included Axel Oyoumick, Harold Soxie, Wassillee Soxie, Allen Ivanoff, Mitchell Ivanoff Sr. and Luke Savetilik. Burial was at Unalakleet Cemetery. Mr. Soxie was born Nov. 22, 1934, in Unalakleet to Jacob and Ellen Soxie. He completed the seventh grade and enjoyed sport fishing, camping, hunting, berry picking and watching his nieces and nephews. He worked for the Alaska Commercial Co. and the Bering Straits School District in Unalakleet and was a member of the Unalakleet Covenant Church. His family wrote: "He was always there when we needed him. He also was always there for his nieces and nephew and baby-sat whenever needed." Mr. Soxie is survived by his mother, Ellen Soxie of Unalakleet; sisters and brothers-in-law, Ruth and Alfred Ivanoff Sr. of Naknek, Vivian and Robert Foote and Mabel and Al Oyoumick of Unalakleet, Edna and Monroe Eakon of Anchorage, and Arlene Soxie and companion, Wilfred Eakon, of Unalakleet; and many nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts and uncles. He was preceded in death by his sisters, Jobina and Harriet, and nephews, Edward Eakon, Shawn Oyoumick, Ronald Ivanoff, and Harvey Soxie.

TAYLOR Elizabeth Margaret Taylor, 90, died May 22, 2002, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Taylor was born May 18, 1912, in Nome, Alaska. She is survived by her daughter, Marion Nickerson; son, Kenneth Bahr; son and daughter-in-law, Harold and Maria Bahr; son and daughter-in-law, George and Nathalia Bahr; and her grandchildren, Mariann Flowers, Marjorie Bahr, Shelly Peterson, Teresa Peterson, Raymond Bahr, George Bahr, Bobby Nickerson, Max Nickerson, Chuck Nickerson, Steven Nickerson, and Robert Bahr.
TOCKTOO Ricky L. Tocktoo, 44, died May 25, at Tangle Lakes, Alaska. He was born March 9, 1961, in Nome. He is survived by his wife, Sabrina A. Tocktoo; daughters, Jacqulyn H. Tocktoo and Rikki L.O. Tocktoo; sons, Evon R. Tocktoo, Paul J. Tocktoo, Thor J. Tocktoo, and Travis K. Tocktoo; mother, Etta Tocktoo; sisters, Mary Ann Davis, Janet Dotomain, and Paula McHale; and brother, Russell Tocktoo.
TRAVERSIE Gladys H. Traversie, 90, died July 31, 2003, at Immaculate Conception Home in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Traversie was born Sept. 20, 1912, in Egavik, Alaska. She is survived by her sister, Anna Etageak; brother, Daniel Savetilik; and many nieces and nephews.
TROFFER Anchorage resident William "Bill" Troffer, 64, died suddenly on July 16, 2009, while working at Prudhoe Bay.He was laid to rest on July 22 at Angelus Memorial Park in Anchorage. Bill was born to Vivian and Frank Troffer on Aug. 25, 1944, in Oak Harbor, Wash. After graduating from Goldendale High School in 1963, Bill first joined the Teamsters union and then the Laborers, and started his career as a driller and a blaster. Bill came to Alaska in the mid 1970s, first working in Skagway, then moving on to Prudhoe Bay and finally to Nome in 1975. It was in Nome that he met Marge Warnke, whom he married in 1984. After 10 years in Nome, Bill and Marge settled in the Anchorage area and he continued his lifelong career working on projects throughout Alaska, the last few years at Prudhoe Bay. His family wrote: "Bill's favorite past-time was traveling in his camper with his boat in tow, to camp and fish in the Seward area. The last trip occurring over the 4th of July weekend. He also loved the quiet hours spent at his workstation tying flies and he was very proud and generous when sharing his creations with family and friends. Bill also mastered the ability to marinate and grill his catch and these wonderful dinners that we looked forward to will be missed by all who were fortunate to partake. "Bill had a very strong work ethic of which he was very proud and he expected the same of those he supervised and trained on each project. His main concern was always the safety of his crew and if one did not possess the same work ethic as it applied to safety, it was the first issue to be dealt with. Many found him to be gruff and tough, but his family and close friends knew the other side and experienced the compassion and love, more so when it came to the children whom he cherished dearly. Over the past few years, Bill often spoke of retiring but no sooner would he come home from the job, he was either called or talking about having to go back; it was always 'one more year' or 'pretty soon.' " Bill is survived by his wife, Marge; sister, Verna; daughter, Mindy and husband Jay; sons, Tim and Kevin; stepdaughters, Birdie, Cootus, Darla, and Tissy and her husband Rick. He also leaves his nieces, Candy and Cathy; many grandchildren; and his little buddies Jax and Pidge. He will be missed. Happy fishing. Arrangements entrusted to Kehl's Legacy Funeral Home & Crematory.
VOYLES Ann Voyles a.k.a. Annie Sokienna Komonaseak Voyles, 61, died at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Voyles was born Dec. 3, 1939, in Nome, Alaska. She is survived by her daughters, Deborah Anne Osborne, Anne Elizabeth Warren, and Darlene Anne Warren; sons, Earl Len Voyles and James Marion Voyles Jr; several grandchildren and one great-grandson.
WALSH Walsh, Michael J. (1882-1963) — also known as Mike Walsh — of Nome, Nome census area, Alaska. Born in Balinade, County Cork, Ireland, April 8, 1882. Married 1909 to W. Louise Forsythe. Democrat. Naturalized U.S. citizen; gold miner; mail carrier; Nome city clerk, 1931-44; alternate delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alaska Territory, 1940, 1944; regent, University of Alaska, 1943-59; member of Alaska territorial House of Representatives 2nd District, 1945-46; delegate to Alaska state constitutional convention 9th District, 1955-56; delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alaska, 1960. Died in Nome, Nome census area, Alaska, April 1, 1963. Interment at Belmont Point Cemetery, Nome, Alaska

Return to Home Page

This page was last updated on -01/03/2018

Copyright 1999-present The AKGenWeb Project Team