Lake and Peninsula Borough
History: Eskimo village, now abandoned, listed in the 1880 Census as "Chikak," with a population of 51. Description: on N shore of Iliamna Lake, 3 mi. NE of Chekok Point and 21 mi. E of Iliamna
Aleut village probably established as a fishing village and cannery named for Chignik Bay. The 1890 Census lists it as "Chignik Bay" with a population of 193. Its population was 224 in 1939 and 253 in 1950. The Chignik post office was established in 1901. Description: population 99, on E coast Alaska Peninsula at head of Anchorage Bay
Local name recorded in 1964 in the Community Gazateer of Alaska. Chignik Lagoon post office was established in 1962 (Ricks, 1965, p. 11). Description: on E coast Alaska Peninsula on N shore of Chignik Lagoon, 5.7 mi. NW of Chignik
Local name recorded in 1964 in the Community Gazeteer of Alaska. Description: population 107, on Alaska Peninsula, at E end of Chignik Lake 13 mi. W of Chignik
population 150, on S bank and near mouth of Egegik River on N coast of
Alaska Peninsula, 38 mi. SW of Naknek, Bristol Bay Low.
Local name reported by P. S. Smith (1917, pl. 1), U.S. Geological Survey
Name of a village published on the 1941 Cannery Map of Alaska. Several cabins are here, but there is no permanent population. Description: on left bank of Kvichak River, 60 mi. E of Dillingham
Name of a seasonal fishing village used by Eskimos from Levelock and other villages near Kvichak River (Bia 1966). Igiugig post office was established in 1934, discontinued in 1954 (Ricks, 1965, p. 28). Description: on left bank of Kvichak River, 0.5 mi. W of Iliamna Lake and 46 mi. SW of Iliamna
Eskimo village reported on a 1935 U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) map of
Alaska. Before 1935 this name was applied to a village located at
another site. After the move the old village became known as "Old
Iliamna." Iliamna (now Old Iliamna) obtained a post office in 1901; the
post office moved to the present location and retained its name.
Description: N or Iliamna Lake, 56 mi NW of Augustine Island.
Cannery reported in 1954 by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) (p.
292). The Ivanof post office was established in 1952, discontinued in
1954 (Ricks 1965, p. 29).
Eskimo village with a population of 28 listed in 1890 Census by A. B. Schanz. Description: on S shore of Iliamna Lake, 23 mi. S of Iliamna
name listed as a "native village" by Ivan Petroff in the 10th Census, in 1880. that the only village in the area was on Mitrofania Island, though no name was given. recent maps and therefore location is approximate. Description: on S shore of Chignik Bay, E of Anchorage Bay and NE of Chignik
This Eskimo village was first mentioned by Ivan Petroff in the 10th Census of 1880 as "Kaskinakh village." It was called "Kaskanakh village" in the 1890 Census. The name was spelled "Kaskanak" in 1890 by A. B. Schanz in Frank Leslie's Newspaper. The population in 1880 was 119; in 1890, 66; it is no longer permanently occupied. Description: on right bank of Kvichak River, 85 mi. NE of Dillingham
Former Eskimo village reported as "Kichik," population 91, by Ivan Petroff in the 1880 Census, but located on his map on the east shore of Lake Clark. 1890-91 Leslie Expedition "Kilchikh" was the permanent village, located about 9 miles up the Kijik River, and "Nikhkak" was the salmon season fishing village on the shore of the lake. (1904b, p. 329), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), recorded two spellings, "Keeghik," derived from the Eskimo name for Lake Clark, and "Nikhak." p. 682 and 687) lists "Kichik," Eskimo village, and "Kilchik," Indian village, both with the 1880 Census population of 91; also (1910, p. 70) "Nikhkak" population 40 in 1891 and about 25 in 1904. Description: on W shore of Lake Clark near mouth of Kijik River. Suffered measles epidemic in 1902.
No info available
Eskimo name "reported by the early Russians" and published in 1898 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). See Kvichak River. Description: on E bank of Kvichak River, on Alaska Peninsula, 17 mi. NE of Naknek
Lake Clark National Park and Preserve
Touristy Description: Lying only 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, Lake
Clark National Park and Preserve holds some of Alaska's finest scenery;
an awesome array of mountains, glaciers, granite spires, thundering
waterfalls, waved-washed coastline, and the largest lake in the state.
The 5625-sq-mile park stretches from the shores of Cook Inlet, across
the Chigmit Mountains, to the tundra covered hills of the western
interior. The centerpiece of the park is spectacular Lake Clark, a
42-mile-long turquoise body of water ringed in by mountains. But the
Chigmits, where the Alaska Range merges into Aleutian Range, is home to
Mt Iliamna, 10,016 feet, and Mt Redoubt, 10,197 feet, two active
volcanoes that in 1990 were seen tossing ash into the air from
Anchorage. Despite its overwhelming scenery and close proximity to
Alaska's largest city, less than 5,000 visitors a year find their way to
Eskimo village named "Kvichak" reported by early Russian explorers and mentioned in 11th Census in 1890. A post office called "Levelock" was established here in 1939 (Ricks, 1965, p. 39). Description: population 88, on right bank of Kvichak River, 58 mi. E of Dillingham
No info available
"Native" village, shown on a U.S. Bureau of Fisheries (USBF) Chart (1890) and reported as abandoned in U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) Alaska Coast Pilot (1947, v. 2, p. 293). Description: between Kuiukta and Mitrofania Bays, on S coast of Alaska Peninsula, 24 mi. SW of Chignik
Local name published by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in 1954 Coast Pilot (p. 505). Description: on W bank of Kvichak River, 1.5 mi. N of Telephone Point and 14 mi. N of Naknek
Former Eskimo village or camp reported in the 1890 Census as "Napaimiut" with a population of 11. Description: on south shore of Iliamna Lake 1 mi. W of Kakhonak and 22 mi. S of Iliamna
Former Eskimo village recorded in 1898 as "Naouchlagamut" by J. E. Spurr and W. S. Post, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), who obtained their information from the chief of Savonoski. Description: on Alaska Peninsula, in Katmai National Monument, about 15 mi. E of Naknek Lake
Eskimo name of a village listed in the 1890 Census as "Noghelingamute" or "people of the Noghelin," population 16. (1893 p. 164). The present spelling is an anglicization of the name. There evidently were two villages of these people on Newhalen River in 1890; see Noghelin Painga. Description: population 63, on N shore of Iliamna Lake, at mouth of Newhalen River, 2.5 mi. S of Iliamna
Tanaina Indian name recorded on a 1909 field sheet by D. C. Witherspoon, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Nondalton post office was established in 1938 (Ricks, 1965, p. 47). See Sixmile Lake. Description: population 205, on W shore of Sixmile Lake, 15 mi. N of Iliamna
Village listed in 1950 Census with a population of 44. A post office was established here in 1936 (Ricks, 1965 , p. 50). Description: At the head of Pedro Bay, 38 mi. NW of Augustine Island
This "native" village was established to provide for people who were
driven away from the vicinity of Mount Katmai by the eruption of 1912.
including a store and school (Coast Pilot, 1947, p. 297). was originally
called Perry, but later was referred to as Perryville, probably to
conform with the post office that was established there in 1930 (Ricks,
1965, p. 50).
Pile Bay Village
Local name derived from Pile Bay; published in 1952 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Description: On the E shore of Iliamna Lake, at the hed of Pile Bay, 36 mi ESE of Nondalton
Aleut and Eskimo village with a cannery and post office that was maintained at intervals from 1933 to 1951. The name was reported in 1900 by Lieutenant Commander J. F. Moser, U.S. Navy (USN), commander of the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries (USBF) steamer Albatross, as "Pilot Station," named for the Ugashik River pilots stationed there. The name was changed in 1933 when the Pilot Point Post Office was established. Of 120 Aleuts, one family survived the flu epidemic of 1918; the village was populated by Eskimo in 1923. The population was 114 in 1939; 76 in 1963. Description: On the E shore of Ugashik Bay, on the N coast of Alaska Peninsula, 7 mi NW of Ugashik Bay
Village and airfield. The Port Alsworth post office was established in
1950 (Ricks, 1965, p. 52). Description: Near the mouth of the Tanalian
River on the SE shore of Lake Clark at Hardenburg Bay, 22 mi. NE of
This settlement was formerly an Eskimo village spelled "Mishik" by U.S.
Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in 1902. miles north. 1915. 1930.
Name reported in 1898 by J. E. Spurr and W. S. Post, U.S. Geological
Survey (USGS), who obtained it from Reverend A. Petelin. Spurr also
reported it as "Ikkhagamut." Savonoski was abandoned after the Katmai
area eruptions on June 2-6, 1912.
Local name published in 1923 by Alaska Road Commission (ARC), as "Severn's Roadhouse," and in 1933 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), as "Seversens." Description: on Roadhouse Bay, on N shore of Iliamna Lake, 1 mi. E of Iliamna
Eskimo village listed by Ivan Petroff in the 1880 Census as "Oogashik," population 177; 154 in 1890; 84 in 1930; 55 in 1939; and 48 in 1950. The Ugashik post office was maintained here intermittently from 1932 to 1963 (Ricks, 1965, p. 67). Description: village, on NW coast of Alaska Peninsula, on E bank of Ugashik River, 9 mi. from its mouth
Lake and Peninsula Borough