"The community lies on the banks of the upper Chena River, near the Little Chena River. It was the site of a territorial school. Expansion of the greater Fairbanks area since the 1970s has enabled the community to expand and develop. Dog mushing is a prevalent activity in Two Rivers. There are several community organizations, including churches, the PTA, the Ski Club, 4-H, and scouts. A recreational complex is available at Pleasant Valley, which supports baseball, basketball, tennis, ice skating, and hockey." [*CRA] The name is derived from the Alaska-Canadian (Alcan) Highway. It is located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
Village established in 1904 by the U.S. Army Signal Corps as the Mccarthy (or Mccarty) Telegraph Station. The Washburn post office was established here, or near here, and operated from 1905 to 1913. The Big Delta post office operated from 1925 to 1959, from which the village received its present name. Its population was 155 in 1950. Located at the junction of Delta and Tanana Rivers, 73 miles southwest of Fairbanks, in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
"Oral history and a substantial inventory of Native place names suggest that Tanana Athabascans occupied the site throughout most of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Big Delta Natives began leaving their ancestral homeland shortly after the peak of the Alaska gold rush between 1898 and 1903. In 1899 the U.S. Army sent parties to investigate the Susitna, Matanuska, and Copper River Valleys to find the best route for a trail north from Valdez, through the Copper River Valley. By 1901 the army had completed the Trans-Alaska Military Road, which extended from Valdez to Eagle City. In 1902 gold was discovered in the Tanana Valley, and, shortly after, a spur trail was created from Gulkana on the Valdez-Eagle route to the new mining camp in Fairbanks. This trail became the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail. During 1903, Lt. Billy Mitchell of the U.S. Army Signal Corps supervised the construction of a telegraph line from Eagle to the mouth of the Goodpaster River. The Goodpaster telegraph station was part of the Washington/Alaska Military Cable and Telegraph System (WAMCATS). During the winter of 1904-05, the Goodpaster Station was destroyed by fire and relocated to Big Delta. In April 1904, a prospector named Ben Bennett staked out 80 acres and built a trading post at Big Delta on the left bank of the Tanana River. In April 1905, Bennett sold his trading post to Daniel G. McCarty. Although Bennett owned the trading post and surrounding acreage, he was grubstaked for all of the merchandise by his partner, E.T. Barnette, the wealthy founder of the City of Fairbanks. Thus, when Bennett decided to sell out to McCarty, all of the goods at the trading post still belonged to Barnette. However, in the early 1900s, the trading post and roadhouse built by Bennett became commonly known as McCarty's or McCarty Station. Another prospector named Alonzo Maxey, along with a friend, set up Bradley's Roadhouse in the hope of diverting travelers from McCarty's." [*CRA]
"Boundary was a placer mining camp with a post office established in 1940 and discontinued in 1956. It was so called because of its nearness (three miles) to the Alaska-Canada boundary. Boundary is situated on an unpaved portion of the Alaska Highway, just east of Jack Wade Junction, on the Alaskan side of the Canadian border. It is a small community with just a few rustic buildings, including the Boundary Lodge." [*CRA]
"Former Indian village of which Lieutenant Schwatka (1885b, p. 41 and 42), USA, wrote, on the 23d of July (1883) we reached another Indian village, called Charley's Village, which is the exact counterpart of the one called Johnny's, even to the number of houses (6) *** We met a Canadian voyageur among them who calls them and Johnny's village the Tadoosh Indians, and says they are the most friendly and best natured Indians on this part of the river. Archdeacon Stuck (1917, p. 82) stated that the village was named for a 'Chief Charley.' The village stood until the high water of the 1914 ice breakup when it was washed away, and the natives moved to Circle." Dictionary of Alaska Place Names by Donald J Orth. Located on the right bank of Yukon River at the mouth of Kandik River, Porcupine Plateau.
Local name reported by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in 1954. Located on Charlieskin Creek, 5.5 mi. S of Northway Junction, Alaska Range
Mining camp and post office established in 1903. Was a common name for the ptarmigan in 1930. Located on right bank of Chicken Creek 1 mi. N of Mosquito Fork, 58 mi. SW of Eagle.
"Tanana Athabascan Indians occupied this site throughout most of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The peak of the Alaska gold rush was between 1898 and 1903. In 1899, the army sent parties to investigate the Susitna, Matanuska, and Copper River valleys to find the best route for a trail north from Valdez through the Copper River Valley. By 1901, the army had completed the Trans-Alaska Military Road, which extended from Valdez to Eagle. In 1902, gold was discovered in the Tanana Valley, and, shortly after, a spur trail was created from Gulkana on the Valdez-Eagle route to the new mining camp in Fairbanks. This trail became the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail. The Sullivan Roadhouse was built in 1905 by John and Florence Sullivan on a part of the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail known as the Donnelly-Washburn Cut-Off. This section of the trail was considered by many to be too steep, so the Alaska Road Commission built a new road which was four miles from the Sullivan Roadhouse. The Sullivans tore the roadhouse apart and rebuilt it alongside the new road. Ongoing mining activity just north of Delta Junction in the Tenderfoot area and the Chisana Gold Strike of 1913 brought many prospectors and other travelers through the area. The Delta Junction area became known as Buffalo Center for the American bison that were transplanted here from the National Bison Range in Montana in the 1928. In 1942, construction of the Alaska Highway began, and Fort Greely military base was completed 5 miles to the south. In 1946, a dairy farm was established; beef cattle were brought in during 1953 by homesteaders. Delta Junction was incorporated as a second-class city in 1960. Construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline between 1974 and 1977 brought a dramatic upswing to the population and economy. In August 1978, the state initiated Delta Agricultural Project I, a 60,000-acre demonstration agricultural project. Twenty-two parcels, averaging 2,700 acres in size were sold by lottery." [*CRA]
"Delta Junction is strategically located to provide services to summer tourist traffic. The visitor's center is located in the 'Triangle,' where the Alaska Highway meets the Richardson Highway. The community also has an elementary school, middle school, high school (with track and football field), career advancement center, outdoor skating rink, unheated skating facility, city park with ball fields, and some bike paths." [*CRA]
Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area. Established as a road construction camp about 1919, but has developed into a fairly large village in recent years primarily because of its strategic locality at the junction of two major highways. It was originally called "Buffalo Center" because it is near the site of the winter range for a herd of American bison established in 1927. On the E side of the Delta River, 9 mi SSE of its confluence with the Tanana River at Big Delta, Alaska Range.
Mining camp, now abandoned, reported in 1903 by Prindle (1905, p. 10), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Located on N bank of Dome Creek at mouth of Georgie Creek, 29 mi. S of Eagle, Yukon-Tanana High.
Established as a telegraph station about 1904 by the U.S. Army Signal Corps, and a stage station on the Fairbanks-Chitina trail. On Richardson Highway, 26 mi. S of Delta Junction, Alaska Range
"Archaeological evidence at nearby Healy Lake revealed more than 10,000 years of human habitation. Dot Lake was used as a seasonal hunting camp for Athabascans from George Lake and Tanacross. A Native freight trail ran north to the Yukon River through Northway, Tetlin, Tanacross, and Dot Lake. During construction of the Alaska Highway in 1942-43, a work camp called Sears City occupied Dot Lake's present location. Several local Natives worked on the road project. Fred and Jackie Vogle were the first non-Native settlers in the area. They received a home site and by 1949 had constructed a lodge, post office, school, and the Dot Lake Community Chapel." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
"The Native village was settled by Doris Charles and her family in 1946. Between 1946 and 1950, other families moved permanently to Dot Lake from George Lake, Sam Lake, and the Tanacross area, obtaining homesites or Native allotments. Some of the old work camp structures were converted into homes. In 1971, seven new homes were constructed along the lake. The Dot Lake Native Corporation developed a shareholder's subdivision, consisting of 53 one-acre lots. In 1994 and 1996, nine additional Indian Housing Authority homes were built. The Native Village of Dot Lake is a traditional Upper Tanana Athabascan village located two-tenths of a mile southeast of the highway." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
"The area was originally settled by highway construction and maintenance crews and their families. Members of the Living Word Ministry community reside on privately-owned land acquired as Open to Entry parcels between 1971 and 1973. Many of the current residents are members of the Living Word Ministry, Inc., a non-denominational Christian community. Living Word Ministry was established in 1973." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
"The area has been the historical home to Han Kutchin Indians. Established as a log house trading station called 'Belle Isle' around 1874, it operated intermittently as a supply and trading center for miners working the upper Yukon and its tributaries. Eagle City was founded in 1897 and was named after the nesting eagles on nearby Eagle Bluff. By 1898, the population had grown to over 1,700. A U.S. Army camp was established in 1899, and Fort Egbert was completed in 1900. Eagle became the first incorporated city in the Interior in January 1901. The Valdez-Eagle Telegraph line was completed in 1903. By 1910, Fairbanks and Nome gold prospects had lured away many, and the population had declined to 178. Fort Egbert was abandoned in 1911." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
The area has been the historical home to Han Kutchin Indians. The Han Kutchin Indian village associated with nearby Eagle was the original site of this Indian village before the mining camp was established there. The early village was called 'Johnnys' by 'the whites' because its chief was known as 'John.' On left bank of Yukon River, 3 mi. E of Eagle, Yukon-Tanana High.
Mining camp reported in 1925 by Alaska Road Commission (ARC). Located on S bank of Seventymile River at mouth of Flume Creek, 40 mi. NW of Eagle, Yukon-Tganana High.
"The local name was reported in 1914 by the U.S. Geological Survey. Due to declining enrollment, the school closed in 1999. Healy Lake is a mixed Athabascan and non-Native community." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
Roadhouse and settlement reported in 1914 by C. E. Giffin (in Capps, 1916, pl. 2), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Located on left bank of Beaver Creek, 10 mi. N of Ptarmigan Lake and 70 mi. NE of McCarthy; Alaska Range
Mining camp named by miners for Jack Wade, prospector; reported in 1903 by T. G. Gerdine (in Prindle, 1905, pl. 16), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). post office was established in 1901 and maintained until 1948 (Ricks, 1965, p. 29). 1940. On Wade Creek, 46 mi. S of Eagle; Yukon-Tanana High.
Indian name reported by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in 1955. On NE shore of Fish Lake, 3 mi. E of Northway, Alaska Range.
Named for the lake. Population 39. S of Lake Mansfield, 6 mi. NW of Tanacross, Yukon-Tanana High.
Nabesna Indian village reported by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in 1945. This may represent the same people that once occupied a village called "Khiltats" at the mouth of the Nabesna River (Hodge, 1907, p. 679). On W bank of Nobesna River 6 mi. SW of Northway Junction, Alaska Range.
"The area around Northway was first utilized by semi-nomadic Athabascans who pursued seasonal subsistence activities in the vicinity of Scottie and Gardiner Creeks and Chisana, Nabesna, and Tanana Rivers. The Native settlement of Northway Village is located 2 miles south of Northway. The Native village was named in 1942 after Chief Walter Northway, who adopted his name from a Tanana and Nabesna riverboat captain. The development and settlement of Northway was due to construction of the airport during World War II. The Northway airport was a link in the Northwest Staging Route, a cooperative project between the U.S. and Canada. A chain of air bases through Canada to Fairbanks were used to supply an Alaska defense during World War II, and during the construction of the Alcan Highway. A post office was first established in 1941." [*CRA]
Northway is located in Southeast Fairbanks Census Area on the east bank of Nabesna Slough, 50 miles southeast of Tok. It lies off the Alaska Highway on a 9-mile spur road, adjacent to the Northway airport. It is 42 miles from the Canadian border in the Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge. Northway presently consists of three dispersed settlements: Northway Junction, at milepost 1264; Northway, at the airport; and the Native village, 2 miles north, encompassing 18 sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.
"The area was traditionally Athabascan, though road construction and the airport have brought a permanent non-Native population." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
"Northway Village is a traditional Upper Tanana Athabascan community, practicing a subsistence lifestyle. Traditions such as dancing, crafts, hunting, and trapping continue today." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, between Nabesna River and Skate Lake, 1.5 mi. N of Northway, Alaska Range
Named by prospectors and reported as "Star City" in 1897 by Lieutenant W. P. Richardson, USA. A post office was maintained here from 1898 to 1902 (Ricks, 1965, p. 60). Site of mining camp, on left bank of Yukon River, 11 mi. N of Eagle, Yukon-Tanana High.
This village originated as a telegraph station, called 'Tanana Crossing,' where the telegraph lines crossed the river. When the telegraph was dismantled, it remained a village, and, upon the recommendation of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), in 1932 the name was contracted to Tanacross.
"Residents are Tanah (or Tinneh) Athabascan Indians. Most villagers relocated from Mansfield Village, Kechumstuk, and Last Tetlin in 1912 when Bishop Rowe established St. Timothy's Episcopal Mission. The village was originally located on the north side of the Tanana River and was called 'Tanana Crossing.' It is located where the Eagle Trail crossed the Tanana River. A trading post opened near the mission in 1912, and the St. Timothy's post office opened in 1920. More Natives moved from Mansfield when a formal school opened in 1932, although classes had been held at the mission. The name was eventually shortened to Tanacross. In the mid-1930s, an airfield was built across the river from the village. In 1941, the village gave the military permission to use its airfield as an emergency deployment post during World War II. The airfield was paved in 1942, and temporary camps were established. Thousands of troops were deployed through Tanacross airfield during the war. People of the village served as volunteer scouts and backup support for the army. After the war, the airfield was closed. In 1972, due to water contamination, the village relocated from the north bank of the Tanana River to the south bank. In 1979 the old village site burned when a grass fire spread out of control. Culture Tanacross is a traditional Athabascan village with a subsistence lifestyle." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
"The semi-nomadic Athabascan Indians have historically lived in this area, moving with the seasons between several hunting and fishing camps. In 1885, Lt. H. T. Allen found small groups of people living in Tetlin and, to the south, in Last Tetlin. The residents of Last Tetlin had made numerous trips to trading posts on the Yukon River. In 1912, villagers from Tetlin would trade at the Tanana Crossing Trading Post. During the Chisana gold stampede in 1913, a trading post was established across the river from Tetlin. When two trading posts were opened in the village during the 1920s by John Hajdukovich and W.H. Newton, residents from Last Tetlin relocated to Tetlin. A school was constructed in 1929, and a post office was opened in 1932. The 786,000-acre Tetlin Indian Reserve was established in 1930. An airstrip was constructed in 1946. When the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) was passed in 1971, the reserve was revoked. Tetlin opted for surface and subsurface title to the 743,000 acres of land in the former reserve. Due to the community's isolation, the residents are able to pursue a traditional Athabascan culture and lifestyle." [*CRA] Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area.
Lieutenant Allen (1887, p. 77) wrote "We reached 'Tetling's' June 12, 1885 ... six men ... four women, and seven children, occuping two houses situated on a deep, clear stream, the outlet of a lake ...." Apparently named for the local tyone or chief "Tetling." Lieutenant P. G. Lowe (Glenn and Abercrombie, 1899, p. 370), USA, wrote: "On August 29, 1898 we stopped at 'Tetling,' and were met by Chief David .... 'Tetlings' consists of four log houses ...." In 1942, at the recommendation of Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), Board on Geographic Names (BGN) officially changed the spelling to "Tetlin" to agree with that of the river. Population 122. On Tetlin River, 4.5 mi. E of Tetlin Lake and 20 mi. SE of Tok, Yukon-Tanana High.
Local name published by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in 1951. Named because it marks the junction of two important highways in the Tetlin Indian Reservation. Description: On the N side of the Tanana River, at junction of Alaska and Taylor Highways, 8 mi E of Tok Junction and 13 mi NNW of Tetlin, Yukon-Tanana High
"It is uncertain how Tok got its name. However, the nearby 'Tokai River' was first reported in 1887 by Lt. Allen. 'Tok River' was recorded in 1901 by the USGS. Tok began in 1942 as an Alaska Road Commission camp. So much money was spent in the camp's construction and maintenance that it earned the name 'Million Dollar Camp' by those working on the highway. In 1944 a branch of the Northern Commercial Company was opened, and in 1946 Tok was established as a Presidential Townsite. With the completion of the Alcan Highway in 1946, a post office and a roadhouse were built. In 1947 the first school was opened, and in 1958 a larger school was built to accommodate the many newcomers. The U.S. Customs Office was located in Tok between 1947 and 1971, when it was moved to Alcan at the border. Between 1954 and 1979, a U.S. Army fuel pipeline operated from Haines to Fairbanks, with a pump station in Tok. The pump station's facilities were purchased as area headquarters for the Bureau of Land Management. The U.S. Coast Guard constructed a LORAN (Long Range Aid to Navigation) station in 1976. Four 700' towers, located 6 miles east of Tok junction, transmit radio navigation signals for air and marine traffic in the Gulf of Alaska. In July of 1990, Tok faced extinction when a lightning-caused forest fire jumped two rivers and the Alaska Highway, putting both residents and buildings in peril. The town was evacuated and even the efforts of over a thousand firefighters could not stop the fire. At the last minute a "miracle wind" (so labeled by Tok's residents) came up, diverting the fire just short of the first building. The fire continued to burn the remainder of the summer, eventually burning more than 100,000 acres. Evidence of the burn can be seen on both sides of the highway just east of Tok." [*CRA]
"The area was traditionally Athabascan, although the current population is primarily non-Native. Tok has become known as the 'Sled Dog Capital of Alaska.' Although residents have chosen not to incorporate as a municipality, there are numerous local volunteer committees for various community functions and various membership organizations." [*CRA]
Located in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, at the junction of Alaska and Glenn Highways, 8 km (5 mi) southwest of the junction of Tok and Tanana Rivers, and 19.3 km (12 mi) southeast of Tanacross, Alaska Range. Tok developed since the building of the Alaska and Glenn Highways in the 1940s.
*CRA Extracted from State of Alaska, Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development's, Community and Regional Affairs website.