Established in 1902 when the U.S. Army Signal Corps located the Salcha telegraph station about three miles from the mouth of the Salcha River. The Salchaket post office (from the Indian name "Salchakaket" i.e. "mouth of the Salcha") was located at the mouth of the Salcha in 1909; discontinued in 1926 (Ricks, 1965, p. 55). The trading post and roadhouse are shown on maps as "Munsons" and recently "Aurora." Located along the Richardson Highway at junction of Salcha and Tanana Rivers, 40 mi. NW of Big Delta, Tanana Low.
Named by personnel of The Alaska Railroad in 1949, "so called because it is in the vicinity of the Old Badger Road." Located in Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Suburb south of Fairbanks at north terminus of Richardson Highway
On Richardson Highway, 19 miles southeast of Fairbanks, Tanana Low. Local name derived from nearby Moose Creek Bluff.
Residential suburb, 5 mi. SW of Fairbanks, on S bank of Chena River adjacent to Fairbanks International Airport, Tanana Low. Local name was published in 1955 by U.S. Geological Survey, also called South Bjerremark because it was part of the Bjerremark Homestead before it was subdivided.
Mining settlement established about 1904, and railroad station when the Tanana Valley Railroad was completed in 1907. The Chatanika post office was established in 1908. Its population was 63 in 1930 and 106 in 1940. It was named after the stream. Population 30, 2 mi. E of junction of Cleary Creek and Chatanika River, 20 mi. NE of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High. Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Name derived from the Chena River and reported in 1903 by T. G. Gerdine and R. B. Olive (in Prindle, 1905, pl. 16). The village was called "Chena Junction" because it was the south terminus of the Tanana Valley Railroad; however, it was incorporated as "Chena" in 1903. A post office was established in 1903 and discontinued in 1918 (Ricks, 1965, p. 10). With the growth of Fairbanks, Chena disappeared and had only 18 persons in 1920. Description: on N bank of Tanana River, 1 mi. W of mouth of Chena River and 7 mi. SW of Fairbanks, Tanana Low.
Local name derived from the Chena River near headwaters of which the hot springs are located. The springs were reported in 1907 by C. C. Covert, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), and the name was reported in 1912 by Ellsworth and Davenport (1915, p. 59), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough, it is about 60 miles west of Fairbanks.
Local name derived from Clear Creek and published in 1955 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Description: on right bank of Clear Creek, 5 mi. SE of Fairbanks, Tanana Low.
"College was so named, because it is the location of the University of Alaska at Fairbanks, established in 1915. College is a large suburban area of the Fairbanks North Star Borough. Many residents are employed by or attend the nearby University of Alaska at Fairbanks." [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Local name reported in 1950 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) topographers. 5.5 mi. E of Fairbanks, on S bank of Chena River; Tanana Low.
Name reported in 1954 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). 3 mi. N of College and 5 mi. NW of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High
Name of a former mining camp. The settlement began about 1905 (Kitchener, 1954, p. 297); a post office, established here in 1906, was transferred to Olnes in 1922 (Ricks, 1965, p. 17). Name published in 1907 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). On left bank of Dome Creek, 14 mi. N of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High.
This is a military base. "Most Air Force members and their families actually live on the base. Some have chosen to live in nearby North Pole. The base is self-contained and is essentially non-Native. " [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
E of headwaters of Little Eldorado Creek, 12 mi. N of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High.
Name of a mining camp whose name was derived from Engineer Creek. A post office was established here in 1909 and discontinued in 1911. (Ricks, 1965, p. 19). The camp is now only an abandoned site. On Engineer Creek, 9 mi. NE of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High. sec 2, T1N, R1W, Fairbanks Meridian.
"Ester began in 1904 as a gold mining camp at the Discovery Claim on
Ester Creek, one of the richest creeks in the Fairbanks Gold Rush. By 1907
'Ester City' had a population of several hundred, with hotels, saloons,
stores and a social hall. After 1910 the town's population began a slow
decline. Mining, and with it the town, revived in the 1930s when the
Fairbanks Exploration Company (FE) bought up the old claims on Ester Creek
and nearby Cripple Creek. Starting in 1933 the FE built a mess hall, bunk
houses, offices, shops and warehouses at Ester, uphill from the old town.
They ran two gold dredges out of the Ester Gold Camp, one of which mined
through the entire original Ester townsite. In 1958 the FE sold the Ester
Gold Camp to local investors who reopened it as the Cripple Creek Resort.
The Ester Gold Camp, now recognized as a National Historic District, closed
after the 2007 season. It is now for sale. While gold mining continues in
the area, Ester today is largely a bedroom community for nearby Fairbanks
and the University of Alaska. It is known for artists and artistry of all
kinds, for the quirky behavior of its citizens, and for its sense of humor.
Ester's zany annual Fourth of July parade has been described as 'a cross
between Norman Rockwell and the Twilight Zone.' " [*CRA] Located in the
Fairbanks North Star Borough.
The Berry post office was located here for a while; name changed to Ester post office in 1965.
"Koyukon Athabascans have lived in this area for thousands of years. In 1901, Captain E.T. Barnette established a trading post on the Chena River called 'Barnette's Cache.' A year later, gold was discovered 16 miles north of the post. The town grew as the Chena steamboat landing brought many prospectors during the Pedro Dome gold rush. Fairbanks was named in 1902 after Indiana Senator Charles Fairbanks, who became Vice President of the US from 1905 to 1909. In 1903, Judge Wikersham moved the seat of the third judicial district from Eagle to Fairbanks. The population of the area continued to increase as Fairbanks became the hub of the Interior with the addition of the court, government offices, a jail, a post office, and the Northern Commercial Company. Barnette was elected as the first mayor of the City of Fairbanks in 1903 and established telephone service, fire protection, sanitation ordinances, electricity, and steam heat. He also founded the Washington-Alaska Bank. By 1910, the official population had grown to 3,541, although more than 6,000 miners lived and worked their claims on creeks north of town. Ladd Field (now Fort Wainwright) was constructed in 1938. Construction of the Alcan Highway in the 1940s and the Trans-Alaska oil pipeline in the 1970s fueled growth and development. Culture The Fairbanks area is the second-largest population settlement in Alaska." [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Name of a former roadhouse and small settlement; published in 1916 (polk's Gazetteer, 1916). On left bank of Chatanika River, opposite mouth of Faith Cree, 76 mi. SW of Circle, Yukon-Tanana High.
Community in Fairbanks North Star Borough.
This mining camp was named for Tom Gilmore, Felix Pedro's partner, and was first shown on a manuscript map by C. W. Joint in 1905. The camp is now abandoned. It was located on right bank of Pedro Creek, 11 mi. NE of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High. sec 22, T2N, R1E, Fairbanks Meridian.
Name applied by prospectors to a former mining camp; reported in 1903 by T. G. Gerdine, (Prindle, 1905, pl. 13), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Located at junction of Twin and Pedro Creeks, 14 mi. NE of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High.
"Local name reported in 1903 by T.G. Gerdine. The Valley of this stream, one of the earliest gold miing areas in the Fairbanks region, was settled by 1905. (Kitchener, 1954, p. 297)" [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Originally a townsite listed in 1916 Polk's Gazetteer; the village has been annexed by the city of Fairbanks, on N bank of Chena River, E of Garden I., Tanana Low.
"The lake was originally reported by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1909 as 'Salchaket Lake.' The lake was later named for Warren Harding, the 29th President of the U.S., who visited Alaska just before his death. Harding Lake is a summer recreation site for Fairbanks residents. There are a large number of recreatonal-use homes in the area and only a few residents remain year-round." [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Local name reported in 1950 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) topographers. 12 mi. SE of Fairbanks, on S side of Richardson Highway, N of North Pole, Tanana Low
Local name reported in 1950 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) topographers. Population 1,015, residential suburb 1 mi. N of Fairbanks, Tanana Low
Name published in 1907 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) as Mehan, an abandoned gold dredging camp. The settlement began about 1905 (Kitchner, 1954, p. 297) and was named by prospectors for an early miner, Pat Meehan. A post office was established here in 1906 and maintained until 1942 (Ricks, 1965, p. 41). Located 4.3 km (3 mi) NW of Fairbanks Camp Creek, 0.8 km (0.5 mi) W of Alder Creek Camp on the N bank of Fairbanks Creek between Crane Creek and Alder Creek, 35.4 km (22 mi) NE of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High.
"The area is a result of the growth of Eielson Air Force Base and North Pole. Moose Creek is a suburb of the greater Fairbanks area and is better characterized as a geographic location rather than a community. Most residents are non-Native." [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
"In 1944, Bon Davis homesteaded this area. Dahl and Gaske Development Company later bought the Davis homestead, subdivided it, and named it North Pole, hoping to attract a toy manufacturer that would advertise products as being made in North Pole. The Santa Claus House was subsequently developed by Con Miller and his family. The city was incorporated in 1953. Growth from Fairbanks and the nearby Eielson Air Force Base have increased development over the years. Culture North Pole is renowned as the 'home of Santa Claus.' Letters from children all over the world are mailed to North Pole at Christmas each year. The Santa Claus House is a year-round attraction." [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Mining supply village and former RR. station on the Tanana Valley RR., reported in 1907 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The Olness post office was established in 1908, discontinued in 1910, and then reestablished as "Olnes" in 1922; finally discontinued in 1925. According to U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) it was named for a miner who spelled his name "Olnes" (complete name not available). Location: 16 mi. N of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High.
Local name of a mining camp reported to have existed by 1905 (Kitchener, 1954, p. 297). The name was derived from Pedro Creek, which in turn was named for Felix Pedro who discovered gold in the valley. On right bank of Pedro Creek, 12 mi. NE of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High.
"The area is a recent development that has occurred as a result of population growth in the greater Fairbanks area. Pleasant Valley is best characterized as a geographic location, rather than a community. Most residents are non-Native." [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Former village and post office established in 1906 and named for Major Wilds P. Richardson, USA, first President of the Board of the Alaska Road Commission (ARC), who "established a sled road between Valdez on the coast, and Fairbanks, the largest settlement in the interior, a distance of 370 miles." (Brooks, 1953, p . 425-26). Eventually, the Tanana River changed its course and the erosive effects forced the people to move. The post office was discontinued in 1943 (Ricks, 1965, p. 54). Location: on right bank of Tanana River, 18 mi. NW of Big Delta, Tanana Low.
"The village was first reported in 1898 by the U.S. Geological Survey as 'Salchaket,' an Indian name meaning 'mouth of the Salcha.' The village was reported in 1904 as 'Saltshatsheg.' Salcha includes many occasional-use homes for Fairbanks residents. There are a number of competitive dog mushers in the community." [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
Local name reported in 1950 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) topographers. Population 611 (1950), residential suburb on Garden I., N of Fairbanks, Tanana Low
Located in S section of Fairbanks; Tanana Low.
A community east of the Fairbanks International Airport
Local name derived from Standard Creek, listed in a timetable in 1922. Location: on The Alaska RR. 25 mi. SW of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High.
Steele Creek is located northeast of Fairbanks and east of the Steese Highway. The community is named for the creek which flows from north to south across the western part of the CDP (census-designated place), rising on Tungsten Hill and flowing towards the Chena River. The CDP extends east as far as the Little Chena River and Iowa Creek. The CDP is bounded by Two Rivers to the east, Badger to the south, Fairbanks to the southwest, Farmers Loop to the west, and Fox to the northwest.
"The community lies on the banks of the upper Chena River, near the Little Chena River. It was the site of a territorial school. Expansion of the greater Fairbanks area since the 1970s has enabled the community to expand and develop. Dog mushing is a prevalent activity in Two Rivers. There are several community organizations, including churches, the PTA, the Ski Club, 4-H, and scouts. A recreational complex is available at Pleasant Valley, which supports baseball, basketball, tennis, ice skating, and hockey." [*CRA] Located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough, between mile 13 (the Little Chena River) and mile 25 (the Chena River) on the Chena Hot Springs Road.
Name of a former mining camp published in 1907 by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). A post office was established here in 1908 and discontinued in 1909 (Ricks, 1965, p. 69). Located on right bank of Vault Creek, 0.5 mi. E of Treasure Creek and 12 mi. N of Fairbanks, Yukon-Tanana High.
Name probably derived from its being at the west end of the city adjacent to the airport. Subdivision now within corporate limits of city of Fairbanks, on S bank of Chena River, Tanana Low.
*CRA Extracted from State of Alaska, Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development's, Community and Regional Affairs website.