West Aleutian Islands Census Area


John Carpenter, Jr. age 62, died 2011 in Pasadena, CA.


Lawrence Collins, age 97, of Seattle WA died 2011.


Julia Delaney, age 69, of Big Lake AK died 2011.


Longtime Seward resident Frank Dieckgraeff, 75, died June 20, 2009, at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, surrounded by family. A celebration of Frank’s life will be at 2 p.m. July 18 at the Cruise Ship Terminal in Seward followed by a gathering at American Legion Post #5, 402 Fifth Ave., in Seward.

Frank was born Feb. 23, 1934, in Strasburg, Colo., and was raised on a farm near Harrisburg, Ore. He served in the Army Corps of Engineers from 1953-1956. Frank married Barbara Miller on July 21, 1955, after his tour of duty in Korea. He returned to Oregon to work in the logging industry until 1965, when he and Barbara moved their family to Seward. Frank worked all over Alaska for Frontier Rock and Sand from 1965 to 1970, and was at Prudhoe Bay in 1968 when oil was discovered. In 1970, he started Metco Diesel Service and worked on commercial fishing vessels in Seward, Kodiak, Adak, Yakutat and Dutch Harbor. In 1973 he founded Metco Redi-Mix to provide concrete in the Seward area, and in 1975 the business was expanded to include sand and gravel, excavating and construction services. The family business was incorporated as Metco Inc. in 1976 and Frank was active in its operation until his death. His family said Frank “lived his life the way he wanted to and said what he wanted to say. His work was his hobby and he loved to work. He was always thinking about how to do things differently and more efficiently. He was the happiest when he was operating heavy equipment, moving gravel or seeing one of his mechanical ideas realized. “Being a great story teller, he loved to tell about his time ‘on the farm’, logging in the woods, the places he had worked around Alaska and the different projects he was involved with.”

Frank was dedicated to the Seward community. He contributed countless hours of his time plus truckloads of materials for various charitable projects and community improvements. Frank often joked that there wasn’t a block in Seward that he hadn’t worked on. He was well-known for his integrity, his quality of work, and his extensive work with rivers and creeks. Over the past 30 years, he was honored several times for his efforts during floods in the Seward area.Frank is survived by his wife of 54 years, Barbara Dieckgraeff; two sisters in Oregon and an extended family in Alaska, the West Coast, Midwest, East Coast and Germany including children, grandchildren, and a great-grandchild. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Seward Community Foundation, Frank Dieckgraeff Memorial, P.O. Box 933, Seward, AK 99664. Donations will be used to help Seward seniors in need. Arrangements entrusted to Kehl’s Legacy Funeral Home & Crematory.


Patrick Lorentzen Druck, 45, passed away peacefully in his sleep on May 15, 2010, in Fairbanks. He was born Dec. 9, 1964, in Tanana to Joe and Leah Druck.
Patrick graduated from Tsuk Taih School in Chalkyitsik. He was a carpenter, cook, laborer and worked in Fairbanks, Anchorage and Dutch Harbor.
He will be remembered for his warm smile, humor and his love of dancing.
He is survived by his mother, Leah Druck; siblings, Lois and Francis Verney, Peter and Agnes Druck and Joey Druck; great-great uncles, Abraham Henry and John Titus; nieces and nephews, Anthony and Jennifer Verney, Lila and Ricardo Carderas, Floyd Verney, Vinson Druck (Rose), Jeremiah Druck (Crystal), Samantha Druck (Jim), Nathan Druck (Danielle), Sherry Druck, Denise Druck (Norman), Jessica Druck (Grafton), Gordon Druck, Michael, Fabian and Jacqueline Joseph (Mike); many, many great-nieces and great-nephews; and many close friends in Alaska. He was preceded in death by his father, Joe Druck Sr.; siblings, Chester, Johnny, Raymond, Gerald Mason, Gerald Douglas, Michael Reed and Joel; and sisters, Carol Susan and Rebecca Agnes. A funeral will be held at 1 p.m., today, Saturday, May 22, at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Chalkyitsik. A cookout will follow at Leah Druck’s home. Arrangements were entrusted to Chapel of Chimes Funeral Home


Martin Dugan, age 61 of Barraigada, Guam died in 2011.


Dorothy Dupee, age 92, of Midland TX died in 2011.


Dorothy Erickson, age 89, of Spokane WA died in 2010.


Mattie Fletcher, age 75, of Anchorage AK died in 2010.


Mary Catherine Fratis, age 66, of St. Paul Island AK died in 2011.


Juliana Gaddis, age 58, of Anchorage AK died in 2010.


Annie Gould, age 89 of King Cove AK died in 2011.


Karl Hanson, age 73, of Anacortes WA died in 2011.


Thomas Hapoff, age 42, of Surprise AZ died in 2011.


Elizabeth Haralson, age 77, of Lake Stevens WA died in 2011.


Endearing, demanding captain dies of stroke at 53
To fans of the "Deadliest Catch," he was captain Phil Harris, the famous crab-killing rider of the wild Bering Sea.But to those living at the tip of the Aleutian chain, he was just plain Phil, one of the most endearing, demanding - and sometimes downright irritating - men Dutch Harbor ever loved.Harris, 53, suffered a stroke Jan. 29 while the fishing boat he captained, the Cornelia Marie, was in port at St. Paul Island near Dutch Harbor. He was medevacked to Anchorage and appeared to be on the mend Feb. 3, according to reports on the "Deadliest Catch" Web site.He died Feb. 9, 2010, spurring thousands of online comments from fans of the Discovery Channel show that depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska.News spread quickly between fishermen, the docks, bars and businesses of Dutch Harbor and Unalaska."God bless him, he lived life to the extreme," said Walt Dauderis.He and Harris go way back. They worked together two decades ago on the Sea Ern, and before that in rubber boots and rain gear on the decks of the Alaska Monarch. More recently, Dauderis spent a few seasons as engineer and cook on the Cornelia Marie."People who tried to be like him, you'd watch them fail by his side. No one could keep up with him."Dauderis gave up crabbing for a job with the Alaska Marine Highway System, but he and Harris are practically neighbors in Lake Stevens, Wash., where they rode motorcycles together and yukked it up over fishing, Harleys and life in general.Dauderis has lots of stories. But none of them are printable."I'm going to miss him. I just painted a motorcycle and was going to go by his house to show it to him and he was going to give me a bunch of s--- because it wasn't macho enough."Their pain is so new that people in Dutch Harbor talk about Harris in the present tense, like he's about to walk through the door any minute amid a cloud of cigarette smoke and colorful language.He was "friendly," "honest," "strong," "hardworking" "caring." He was the kind of guy who took "Deadliest Catch" T-shirts to sick children in the hospital."He was a one-of-a-kind person," said Al Mendoza, fleet manager for Unisea, where the Cornelia Marie landed millions of pounds of crab over the years. "I don't think he had an enemy over the years I knew him. Not one enemy, ever."All say he loved his sons, Josh and Jake Harris, more than life itself.Then they tell how he used to joke about why lions eat their cubs. The words "brash," "macho," "loud" and "impatient" pop up. By all accounts, he could be a pain in the patoot, but that doesn't mean they loved him less."We're devastated," said Veda Webb. And in the next breath, "I can't count the times I told him to get out and never come back."When Webb started her business, Unalaska Advertiser, a few years back, Harris stopped in to welcome her, then made sure the other fishermen gave her their business.The first week in February, she was working on getting Harris a mini computer for Internet and e-mail onboard the boat. She had a couple on order, but they got stalled in the mail."He'd hound me if he wanted something until he got it. He called me every night, 'Are they here? Are they here?' "His last call was the night before he left for St. Paul Island. The computers were in."He said, 'Well, try to get me a Gateway with Windows 7, for when I get back.' "Typical Harris behavior.When he wanted something done, yesterday was too late, said Don Knoblauch, superintendent for Magone Marine Services, the shop that fixed the Cornelia Marie for the past eight years."Extremely pushy, boisterous expedience, that's how he was," Knoblauch said. "If he was off the boat and not pressured by the fishing, he was a pretty decent guy. I'd see him in the bar and he seemed like a relatively normal person."Crabbers tend to get into town, gear up, go fishing, unload and repeat until the season is over. But there's always time to visit the bar, and Harris made all the stops over the years.The first time bartender Danielle Williams met Harris, she served him his signature drink - a double duck fart."He and his two sons, one had just turned 21, and a crew member came in. His crew guy and he got into an argument, and his crew guy knocked him into the corner of the bar."She was about to boot them all out, but they started laughing."They got over it really fast. They ended up closing the bar."Lionel Silva, chief engineer on the pollock catcher Morning Star, said Harris' death is a blow to the crabbing industry as well as a personal loss for him."He was a terrific captain, and one of the most outstanding people I know."There was far more to Harris than "Deadliest Catch" fame, Silva said."I understand he was on the show and stuff, but they're all going to go away. When everybody forgets about 'Deadliest Catch,' we're still going to be remembering Phil and everything about him."


Herman Johnson, age 54, of Anchorage AK died in 2010.


Lubov Kious, 67, died Feb. 13, 2002, at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Kious was born Oct. 12, 1934, in St. Paul Island, Alaska. She is survived by her daughters, Augusta Poole, Alexandra S. Pope and Leta M. Gannon; and sons, Stanley W. Kious and Gary J. Kious.


Hoonah resident Howard “Howie” Harold Knudson died Jan. 5, 2010, in Hoonah. He was 52. Born April 13, 1957, in Juneau, he grew up and lived in Hoonah, where he attended Hoonah Public School. He was a Wooshke’taan, from the Shark house and a Chookaneidi yadi. His Tlingit name was “Doos ke’sut te” after his uncle Andrew McKinley; his second name was Shaw ke’ut te.

He did many things in his life, including working as a seiner, longliner and troller and fishing on a processor at sea near Dutch Harbor.

“He had no fear of working on a fishing boat,” his family said. “He loved to challenge his friends to not be afraid of hard work and did so with a grin.” He also was a bartender. In Hoonah, he worked as a hatch foreman for Southeast Stevedoring for several years, when logging was a local way of life. He spent the past few summers as a crew supervisor for Hoonah’s Icy Straits Point. Of all of the things he did in his life, most of all he loved to fish his boat, the Cheryl Sea, and rod fish off his skiff, his family said. “Howie was a provider and a friend to all who knew him. Fishing was his life and certainly a great source for his pride. Just talking about trolling would get him to say, ‘Woohoo,’ rubbing his hands together vigorously and smiling ear to ear.”

Beside being a fisherman, he was a hunter, subsistence user and provider. He also took great pride in being an uncle to all his nephews and nieces, teaching his nephews work ethic and values to ensure they knew how to take care of themselves and their families.

He looked up to his elders and had the most respect for them, and he held service men in the highest regard. People who knew him agree he had a free spirit and loved his independence and living on his boat.“Howie touched so many peoples lives, he will be missed,” his family said. He was preceded in death by his uncle, Gerald Gray; cousins, Lenny and Larry Gray; aunts, Irene J. Austin and husband, Jim, and Lila Fawcett; grandparents, Howard Gray Sr., and Jessie Gray, and Harry and Amy Marvin; and uncle, Sam Knudson and daughter, Elaine.
He is survived by his parents, Ralph and Harriet Knudson Sr.; sister, Mary Erickson and husband, Jim; brothers, Ralph Jr., and Kelvin Knudson, and Torvald Knudson and wife, Janice; sisters, Irene Knudson and husband, Leo, and Harriet LeBlanc, Ralphenia Knudson; and numerous aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. Pallbearers will be Larry Sanders, John Hillman, Jeff Mills, Ernie Hillman Jr., Don Wilson and Thomas Jack Jr. Honorary Pallbearers are Ronald Williams, Ray Wilson, Frank Wright Jr., Lillian Hillman, Ed Kunz Jr., Paul Rudolph, Jake White Sr., Sam Hanlon Jr., Steve Hanlon, Frank O. Williams, George Bennett.

Arrangements entrusted to Alaskan Memorial Park & Mortuary.


Shirley Koch, age 68, of Coos Bay OR died in 2011.


Anthony Kochutin, age 59, of St. Paul AK died in 2010.


John “Jackie” Edward Larsen Jr., 63, died October 14, 2010, at his home in Anchorage. Mr. Larsen was born February 18, 1947, to John and Agnes Larsen. He was raised in King Cove until the age of 13, when he left home for Mt. Edgecumbe, where he graduated at the age of 17. During the summers, he was a commercial fisherman in King Cove. He continued higher education at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and earned a Bachelor of Science in engineering. After college, Mr. Larsen spent 10 years working as an engineer and project manager for Arco, eight years in Alaska and two years in Denver, Colorado, overseeing oilfield projects. He went on to work for various consulting firms, where he received his professional license to practice engineering and to craft his trade. In 1989, he was elected to the Aleut Corporation Board of Directors and was appointed corporate President and CEO. After leaving TAC, he continued his work as an engineering consultant until 1993 when he formed Larsen Consulting Group, Inc. specializing in rural Alaska infrastructure projects. He was co-owner and CEO of the company. Mr. Larsen served on the Alaska Federation of Natives Board as a representative for TAC and was an early member of the Aleut League. He was president of the Pacific Northwest Aleut Council in Seattle and was a member of the American Indian Council of Architects and Engineers. He was preceded in death by his parents, John and Agnes Larsen; siblings, Agnes Larsen Darnell, Nicholas and Elizabeth Larsen; and his nephew, Michael Kaneski; and his dog, Sunny. He is survived by his wife, Gwendolyn Larsen; his daughters, Melissa, Danielle and Jacqueline Larsen; and stepchildren, Richard, Natasha (Reginald) and Xxavier; his sisters, Mary Ryan, May (Dr. Joe) Stuteville, Kathryn McKinnon, Edna (Ron) Huwe and Linda Larsen; grandchildren, Victoria, Jonathan, Tristan, Rose and Isabella; and stepgrandchildren, Reginald, Dayvne, Josiah and Marsol; and many nephews, nieces, cousins and numerous friends. Donations can be sent to King Cove Bible Chapel.


Anna Lekanof, age 86, of Anchorage AK died in 2011.


Flore Lekanof, Sr., age 84, a fluent Aleut speaker, passed away September 17, 2010, in Kirkland, Washington. Flore was born on St. George Island, Alaska, August 18, 1926. He was a survivor of the 1942 internment of the Aleut Americans who were taken from their homes on St. George and St. Paul Islands and removed to Funter Bay in Southeast Alaska during World War II. He graduated from Lincoln High School in Tacoma, Washington in 1949 and he was awarded a scholarship from Whitworth College in Spokane, Washington. He majored in philosophy. He continued pursuing his education at the University of Washington, where he received a master’s degree in public school administration with a concentration on elementary education. He also attended the San Francisco Theological Seminary for six months. Flore was considered an excellent teacher and taught school in several villages in Alaska, including Chignik, St. George, St. Paul, Kotzebue, Point Hope, and Barrow, as well as Anchorage, Fairbanks and Sitka. Flore later became the principal of Scenic Park Elementary, and was the first Alaska Native to be appointed as a school principal in Alaska. Flore organized the Cook Inlet Native Association and was its first charter president. He was also a founder and first chairman of the Alaska Federation of Natives. He organized the Aleut League, which is now the Aleut Corporation. He worked as a director of Anti-Poverty Programs for the State of Alaska. He was deputy director of Community Programs for the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Washington, D.C. as well as the director of Alaska Native Affairs Office for the BIA in Washington, D.C. Flore served on many blue ribbon commissions while employed by the BIA. He retired as director of community services for the Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association in 1999 after 11 years in that post. He was preceded in death by his parents Anatoly and Agnes Lekanof, Sr., brothers Laurence, Agafangel, Stephan, Ermogen, and sisters Alice Tutiakoff, Antonina Lekanof, Irena Lekanof and son Donald Keen, Jr. He is survived by his loving wife of 40 years Mary Louise, children Flore, Jr., Nicholas L., Pavla Lekanof (Jose Carrillo), Karen Taug (Ole), Katherine Carter (Steve), Nancy Keen, Janice Hotch (Edward); Susan Keen; sisters Pavla Melovidov and Anna Philemonof; brothers Anatoly Lekanof, Jr. and Michael Lekanoff; and 29 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren and many nieces and nephews. Other interests of Flore’s included the Saint Katherine Orthodox Church in Kirkland, Washington, serving on the St. George Tanaq Corporation Board of Directors, participating in The Alaska Kuteeyaa Dance Group and Haandei I Jin Dance Group, the Western Coalition of Alaska Natives, and Pacific Northwest Aleut Council.


Peter R. Lekanof, age 57, of St. George Island, AK died in 2010.


Keith Nikander Lestenkof, of Anchorage, died January 17, 2010. He was born December 19, 1980, in Anchorage to Dimitri Lestenkof (deceased) of St. George and Vera Esmailka Lestenkof of Koyukuk. Keith went to high school at St. Paul Island and Mt. Edgecumbe High School in Sitka. During his younger years, he loved baseball and participating in Native Youth Olympics. He once placed second in the one-arm reach in statewide competition. He also enjoyed playing basketball and watching sports on TV and videos. Keith later enlisted in the U.S. Navy and spoke of his many adventures while serving. Keith had a great love for his family and treasured his time with them. Keith was preceded in death by his father, Dimitri A. Lestenkof; grandfather, Alvin Lestenkof; grandfather, Ernie Esmailka Sr.; and cousin, Demetri J. Lestenkof. He is survived by his beloved mother, Vera Lestenkof of Koyukuk and Anchorage; brother, Stephan; sisters, Rose, Jade, Jenna and Jolene; grandmother, Nina Lestenkof of St. George; and grandmother, Ethel Esmailka of Koyukuk; his nieces and nephew, Precious Lestenkof, Hannah Olin and Joshua Olin of Huslia, and Anna Nick of Pilot Station; aunts, Anna Jensen, Sharon Kashevarof and Agatha Rutka, all of Anchorage, Loretta Lolnitz of Koyukuk and Shirley Sam of Huslia; uncles, Joe Lestenkof Sr. of St. George and Ernie Esmailka Jr. of Koyukuk.


Martha Mandregan, age 57, of Valdez AK died in 2011.


Marva Martin, age 56, of Ocean Park WA died in 2011.


Alexander Melovidoff, age 86, of Lakewood WA died in 2011.


Akanfa Merculieff, age 80, of Bainbridge Island WA died in 2010.


Nicholai Merculief, age 89, of Anchorage AK died in 2011.


Lida Merculief, age 54, of Anchorage AK died in 2011.


Andrew Mills, age 22, of Saugus MA died in 2011.


Thomas Munson, Sr., 76, of Anchorage, AK died July 23, 1999 at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Mr. Munson was born January 26, 1923 in Akutan, Alaska. He is survived by his daughter Joni Munson; sons Thomas Jr. and Harold Munson; grandchildren Tanya Salazar, Christopher Ondola, Jason Anderson, Brendon Munson, Bodean Kuphaldt, Karina Munson and great-grandchild Caliegha Salazar.


Irene Newton, age 69, of Anchorage AK died in 2010.


Serafima Newton, age 70, of Anchorage AK died in 2010.


Katherine Nevzoroff, age 62, of Atka AK died in 2010.


Nadesda Prokopiof, age 93, of St. Paul Ak died in 2010.


Robert Rosales, age 73, of Berkley CA died in 2011.


Katherine Ross, age 88, of Seattle WA. Katherine Ross died Saturday, January 23, 2010 in Seattle. She was born October 24, 1921, in Akutan, Alaska, one of twelve siblings, to Hugh J. and Matrona Jane (Suvorova) McGlashan. Katherine enjoyed preparing for family gatherings, cooking, clam digging and gaming. She was knowledgeable of her Aleut culture and enjoyed sharing her knowledge. She married Curtis Ross of South Bend, WA in April of 1938 at Akutan, Alaska. She is survived by her daughters, Charlotte Allan and Brenda Vincent both of Raymond and Colleen Barnes of Tokeland; a son, Michael Ross of Grayland; sisters, Feckla Schlais of Ketchikan, AK and Lillian Pelkey of Gig Harbor; brothers, George McGlashan of Akutan and Steve McGlashan of Anchorage; 10 grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren and 3 great great grandchildren. Katherine was preceded in death by her husband and son David Ross.


Anchorage resident Walter Edward Shane, 49, died Aug. 3, 2010, at the Alaska Native Medical Center, surrounded by his wife of 27 years, daughter and son-in-law, siblings and extended family members.A lifelong Alaskan, Mr. Shane was born July 28, 1961, on St. George Island to William and Martha Shane and raised on St. Paul Island.A funeral and burial will take place today on St. Paul Island at the Saint Peter and Paul Church, officiated by the Rev. Maxim Isaac.Mr. Shane was one of the first Village Public Safety Officers to graduate in the 1980s and later was trained to become a police officer. He was also a board member of the Central Bering Sea Fishermen's Association.His family said, "Walter was a very committed, faithful individual to the Russian Orthodox Church and maintained extremely strong family values."He is survived by his wife, Julie Shane; daughter and son-in-law, Martha and Vladimer Krukoff of Anchorage; brothers, Benjamin Shane of St. Paul, John Shane of Anchorage, William Shane Jr. of Anchorage, Nikander Shane of Adak, Frank Shane of St. Paul, David Shane of Anchorage and Mike Shane of Kenai; sisters, Mable Kochutin of Wasilla, Diane Krukoff of Adak, Anna Lestenkof of St. Paul and Dorothy Andrews of New York; and many nieces, nephews and godchildren.Mr. Shane was preceded in death by his parents, William and Martha Shane; and sisters Sarafima Shane, Katherine Dunton and Erena Haynes.


Christine Polakeea Wassom, 78, died May 25, 2002, in Seward, Alaska. Ms. Wassom was born Oct. 22, 1923, in Bear River-Port Moller, Alaska. Ms. Wassom is survived by her daughters, Marie C. King and Alberta A. Zaremba; and her son, Henry A. "Hank" Abrahamsen.


Jeffrey Wetzel, age 29, of Everett WA died in 2011.


Anna (Ann) M. Williams, 65, died July 16, 2001, at Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Ms. Williams was born April 25, 1936 in Atka, Alaska. She is survived by her daughters, Betty J. Lee, Diane M. Kuzakin, and Rosella A. Graham; sons, Harry R. Kuzakin Jr. and John F. Kuzakin; grandson Michael D. Lee; granddaughters, Theresa Cochran, Ashley Cochran, Crystal Graham, Theresa Graham and Kimberly Graham; and son-in-law Dennis Cochran.


Margaret D. Wirz, 78, died July 26, 2004 at home in Kenai, Alaska. Ms. Wirz was born in Squaw Harbor, Alaska. She is survived by her daughters, Penny L. Carty, Charmaine J. Lundy and Annie J. Wirz; and sons, Robert S. Wirz and Gary E. Wirz.

Source: Many of the above obituaries were from the June 2011 Aleut Corporation newsletter.

AK GenWeb Logo US GenWeb Logo

East Aleutian Islands Borough & West Aleutian Islands Census Area
AKGenWeb Copyright